Would someone mind checking my listings please for Active Content.

I checked the ebay tool on one of my listings and it said it was ok.   I haven't a clue what JavaScript is and don't know if its in my listing template.  I have written several times to the template site to ask but as yet have not had any reply.

I do have a counter which I've read must be removed.....can that be done with bulk edit or will I have to do each listing?

Many thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

This is a bulk scan tool for active content - at the moment, all but 8 of your listings are coming up 'positive' for active content.

http://www.isdntek.com/ebaytools/ActiveContentScanner.htm

The view counter is an eBay widget, not a third party one, and probably doesn't (or won't) use flash / javascript.

I have one and it does not return a positive result when running active content scans, and it's also visble on the 8 listings of yours that return as having no active content, so that is definitely not an / the issue.

I can't be sure what part of your template uses active content, but if you have the HTML code you can probably isolate it if you put it in a word processing program and run a search for java or flash. I had some javascript in my template, but it didn't actually do anything (I suspect is was do do with a photo gallery feature I removed), so I removed the entire code with no change to my actual template, though it also meant updating my listings manually one by one. 

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you..I appreciate you looking at my listings.

If I don't hear from my template site soon I will get someone in to help me work it all out.   In the meantime I will google a word processing program and who knows...I may be able to work it out myself.

Cheers

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Google a word processing program? Why?

Try Notepad, which comes with all Windows computers. I'm sure Apple have an equivalent.

Or Word, or Open Office.

Really, you don't have a word processor? A basic computing tool?

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Hi,  thanks for your input.

I probably have all the things you mentioned.....I just don't know what I am supposed to do with it which was the reason I was going to google it!

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

@egyptian-shop wrote:

Hi,  thanks for your input.

I probably have all the things you mentioned.....I just don't know what I am supposed to do with it which was the reason I was going to google it!

Do you ever use your computer to type a letter, write a shopping list or anything else of that nature? If you have then you have used the program you need. Just open up the program then copy the html from your template and paste it onto the page.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Sorry - I probably gave you a slightly more complicated way to look for it than necessary... The easiest way to check would be to go into one of your listings to revise it, switch to the HTML tab, then press F3. A small pane will pop up (depending on the browser you use, it may be at the top or bottom - in Chrome it pops up at the top-right, in Firefox it pops up at the bottom-left).

When it pops up, type in java, and it will search the whole page for instances of that word. If it picks up on it, then your listing is using Javascript in some way. You can search for flash by doing the same thing, typing flash in the field. 

When I did this with my template, once I had found the code, I simply deleted it from the HTML in its entirety, then switched back to the other mode and checked to see how it affected my listings. Luckily for me, it changed absolutely nothing. 

This is what a Javascript code can look like so you know how to locate the beginning and end:

https://www.w3.org/wiki/Your_first_look_at_JavaScript

This is what Flash code can look like:

http://www.tizag.com/flashTutorial/flashhtmlcode.php

(In saying that, the code in my template looked a bit different, and started with normal HTML for images, but there was several lines of code from start to end - generally indicated by starting with < and ending with > that I could isolate and delete without affecting my listings, but depending on what the active content is doing in yours, you may see something disappear). 

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

I checked 160956112807 and although there is no active content, it did not pass the mobile friendly test. -

mobile friendly test.JPG

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Thank you to all the advice,  I will check it out.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply