hi we are a new business wanting to sell our products on ebay

we need to know how to charge our customers gst on the sales of our products.

Can anyone help with this?

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@majesticbathroomsolutions wrote:

if you are a business registered for GST then do as you do with all sales.  The price you list for is to be GST inclusive, but if you are a business you should know this.  If you are operating a business and did not know this you should contact an accountant that is familiar with tax matters as a matter of urgency before proceeding to list on eBay.

DO NOT RELY ON ADVICE RECEIVED ON A DISCUSSION FORUM SUCH AS THIS (even anything I post should not be taken as financial advice)

If you do not have an ABN then you can't charge customers GST.  You will be charged GST on your eBay fees and you should factor this into your product price point.

Under NO circumstances are you permitted to add GST (or any other undisclosed charges) to an item after auction ending or buyer using a Buy-It-Now.

disclaimer: I have no accountancy training or financial advice history.  What I have posted above comes from the school of common sense and general knowledge, from where I got all my financial education.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@majesticbathroomsolutions wrote:

if you are a business registered for GST then do as you do with all sales.  The price you list for is to be GST inclusive, but if you are a business you should know this.  If you are operating a business and did not know this you should contact an accountant that is familiar with tax matters as a matter of urgency before proceeding to list on eBay.

DO NOT RELY ON ADVICE RECEIVED ON A DISCUSSION FORUM SUCH AS THIS (even anything I post should not be taken as financial advice)

If you do not have an ABN then you can't charge customers GST.  You will be charged GST on your eBay fees and you should factor this into your product price point.

Under NO circumstances are you permitted to add GST (or any other undisclosed charges) to an item after auction ending or buyer using a Buy-It-Now.

disclaimer: I have no accountancy training or financial advice history.  What I have posted above comes from the school of common sense and general knowledge, from where I got all my financial education.

I have no accountancy training or financial advice history

I do, and you are correct. Free advice is worth what you pay for it. Which is often better value than paid advice, but that's a whole different kettle of systemic a few bad apples fish.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

I see that you have already listed items on eBay, including a self branded product that shows a business address for you.  Well, it shows what looks much like a business name and a street address, which in my eyes becomes a 'business address' once a 'business name' precedes it.

I did a little digging and found that there is a business trading as Majestic Bathroom Solutions. They even have a very professional looking website and sell the same branded product mentioned above.

I take back all of my previous post/advice and wish to replace it with:

Contact your accountant or the Australian Tax Office at your earliest possible convenience.  You do not want to stuff this up and get on to the ATO radar as I have read that once on their radar it is hard to get off it.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Not to mention that a seller who has been trading on eBay for over 2 years could reasonably considered a 'new business'.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Call me cynical but to me this screams of "free advertising"

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Agree

Then again, on the plus side, it gives potential customers something to think about when chosing which companies they want to trust with their needs

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

@daydreams_12 wrote:

Advertising on the boards ? ? ... I'm glad that you said that, and not me.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

@skyrider12-au wrote:

@daydreams_12 wrote:

Advertising on the boards ? ? ... I'm glad that you said that, and not me.

the difference is in the context.  Your post contributes nothing to this discussion other than to reinforce your posting history of rarely posting useful/helpful content.

daydreams was replying in reference to a specific post by a first-time poster and makes a reasonable observation, whereas you (on another ID) have previously made a more sweeping non-specific statement regarding posters posting to advertise on the boards and now seek to piggy-back off daydreams' post to continue with an apparent agenda.

Here's what you posted on that other thread "From my observation of the boards it appears that, for quite a few people they see them as a means to advertise" (my bolding of part of this quote to emphasise the difference).

On this thread, you had a couple of choices

- post useful or helpful information/advice that contributes to the discussion (yeah, right, like that is ever going to happen)

- give a kudo to daydreams in support of what they posted

- post to have a dig

Pattern behaviour is very hard to change.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply