negative feedback buyers

I sold an item to a buyer with 'good' ratings, and they refused to pay, did not response and so on. I looked at their feedback and it was all positive, yet the COMMENTS were negative in some cases. I contacted EBay, and apparently a seller cannot rate a buyer negatively, they can only lodge a case through EBay if they don't pay. I did get my fees back, but the hassle made it a real pain, so what is the point of seller feedback? Kind of a farce really....

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

negative feedback buyers

Of course it is a farce, it is a pat on the back which makes some buyers feel good and anything that does that is a good thing.

You did the right thing and leaving neg feedback for that non payer would do absolutely no good whatsoever, now if they don't pay for another item and the seller goes through the UIP the buyer will not be able to buy anything from sellers who have their buyer blocks in place, I hope you do. Also add them to your blocked bidder list.

If sellers left pos feedback with neg comments it means they did not go through the UID process which is why the numpty buyer was able to buy from you even if you had your blocks in place.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

negative feedback buyers

Sellers have been able to leave false +ive for non payers by doing it before they close a non payer dispute.

Usually the option to leave feedback from either party is blocked once a dispute is closed so even with the strikes they can still buy from sellers that do not have the blocks in place to stop them.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

negative feedback buyers

I have only had it happen to me once and the neg disappeared as soon as I closed the dispute with no need to contact ebay.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

negative feedback buyers

@ostles999

I (metaphorically) feel your pain.

It is surprising, I suppose, that some sellers are still in the process of becoming aware that negative feedback can no longer be given to buyers; in a way it's understandable if sales over the last few years have not been problematic, or if one's not sold for a long time (or ever before), but I know there was a lot of kerfuffle about this when it first came in. I know too that eBay members were advised of the policy change... Without question, many people never do read policy updates, so that explains what might otherwise seem a puzzling phenomenon.

As Phorum Junkie says, issuing an unpaid item strike is effective in terms of making it less likely that the defaulting non-payer will be able to purchase from you and other sellers in the future - as long as at least one more strike is issued by another seller, and as long as your buyer blocks are in place to prevent buyers with strikes purchasing from you... and (I hate to say this) as long as the buyer didn't go weeping to eBay customer service with a tale about how unjust it all was and how they should be let off the hook. (Oh, and also so long as the strikes are not so long ago that they have fallen off the radar.)

But I fully understand just why some sellers are frustrated by not being able to leave negatives. It's not about what is the best and most business-like and effective way to deal with non-payers; it's about putting the bad buyer into the stocks and throwing a nice squidgy rotten tomato at him or her.

Light punishment during the Middle Ages, the pillory set the criminal up for public display of his/her wrongdoing, and there is some evidence that public humiliation of this sort was actually quite a good deterrent.  The wrongdoer would spend perhaps a few hours in the pillory, and everyone at the marketplace would know what crime the pilloried individual had committed. After he or she was set free, there was no further punishment, but there would be reputation (Oh, my reputation, Iago, my reputation!) in the aftermath, which meant the wrongdoer would have to regain trust by proving him/herself with better behaviour.

By removing the ability for sellers to leave negative feedback, eBay has told them "No, you can't have access to the pillory, except when we're putting you into them", and also prevented sellers from accessing beautifully quaggy and pulpous rotten fruit and vegetables for a little gentle throwing...

Perhaps a suitable way of venting for the affected sellers would be to print out an image of the buyer's imagined head, tape it to a wall, and toss darts at it.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

negative feedback buyers

@countessalmirenawrote:

Perhaps a suitable way of venting for the affected sellers would be to print out an image of the buyer's imagined head, tape it to a wall, and toss darts at it.

I personally fantasise about glitter bombs, and other less pretty (but still non-harmful to anything except - perhaps - ego) anonymous packages. plotting ninja.gif

Petty, absolutely, but it satisfies the id, and is cathartic none the less. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

negative feedback buyers

I would be tempted to go to their house,camp outside their window and play Chicken On A Raft

Loudly

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply