no free tracking numbers, did i miss something?

haven't posted anything large for some time because of the high costs and fees etc, but needed a large lot of dvds posted and post office said the free tracking numbers are gone - had to pay for signiture to get a number.

thought the big price rise last year was supposed to be off set by the free tracking numbers?

just as a rub to ebay's and Aussie post's greed have been selling larger items on local for sale internet sites - not for everybody but as a single older male have no issues with pickups and have had some return customers as well. of cource not everything sells but enjoyed a great chat with folks at times.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

You've been conned.

ALL parcels get tracking these days.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Items posted at letter rate - small letter, medium letter, larger letter - do not have tracking.    If you need tracking, you send them registered for an extra $3.70

Parcels all have free automatic tracking nos allocated when you pay at the PO:   I don't know how people manage recording which number applies to which parcel if you post a lot at the same time.

Which is why I really like the ebay label postage - as well as click and send - as it records which tracking no against the item automatically.

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

The postal staff can add the postcode for each item on the docket. Some do, some don't. It might be worth asking for it.
Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Ask for a box of labels at the Post Office come in 50's and then you can record the destination on the back of the lower reciept before putting on parcel and sending. Still gets recorded when posting over the counter and save the post office workers time. However my Postmaster is a real gem and goes all out to assist.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

@curraone wrote:

Items posted at letter rate - small letter, medium letter, larger letter - do not have tracking.    If you need tracking, you send them registered for an extra $3.70

Parcels all have free automatic tracking nos allocated when you pay at the PO:   I don't know how people manage recording which number applies to which parcel if you post a lot at the same time.

Which is why I really like the ebay label postage - as well as click and send - as it records which tracking no against the item automatically.

My small PO that I mostly use automatically puts the post code with the tracking number, so is easy to match them up. The big main PO doesn't, which does make it hard when you want to upload. I've only posted parcels there twice and the first time, couldn't understand why there was no post code. I'd always had it from the small PO so assumed it was a given.

I messaged the buyers and let them know that I couldn't upload the tracking numbers as the PO didn't put a post code on, so I didn't know who owned which number. I said if there were any issues with non delivery, to let me know and I could take the numbers to the PO. 3 days later one showed as being delivered from NSW to Vic, so I could safely assume the other number was for the buyer in WA, so I uploaded it then.

The only other time I posted a parcel there, I took notice of which one they processed first, glanced at the last 3 numbers on the postage label, so was able to match it up when I got home. I only had 2 parcels though, I probably would have been stuffed if there were half a dozen.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply