"Please enter a valid value" error when listing an item

Has anyone else had this problem? It's happened to me a couple of times lately, once when relisting and once with a new listing. After hitting the "Continue" button at the bottom of the main page where you fill out details, and then hitting "List my item" from the next (review) page, the review page reloads with this error in red at the top:

You can not submit your listing due to the following problems
  • Please enter a valid value.
  • An error has occurred
Go back and edit my listing

I click the "Go back and edit my listing" link and nothing on the previous page is in red to indicate a problem - and there's no invalid values on it either, that I can find (there's nothing unusual about the listing, it's essentially the same as any other listing in my store).

The curious thing is that this error doesn't appear until after I've clicked "List my item". Usually when there's an error in the listing, doesn't it reload the main listing page with errors highlighted, before you even get to the review page?

I wrote to eBay customer service and they gave a vague nonsensical answer so I gave up after two attempts.

Message 1 of 28
Latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Yours sounds suspiciously like a problem with your browser's cache.

Next time it happens, clear your cookies and cache and then try listing again.
Message 11 of 28
Latest reply

For those who don't know the error is due to photos your using for your listing, predominantly multi variation listings.

Step 1:

The way to salvage it is to go into "Change pictures".

Step 1a:

Sometimes you will need to change the "Show variation" button to another variation wiping that set of photos.

Step 1b:

then you can change it back to the correct "show variation" that you were using

step 2:

Then the safest way is with out adding the photos back, save your listing all the way.

step 2a:

Then go back in and revise your listing, go into "Change pictures" and reupload those photos. Good system if you have a lot of multi variation combinations as it saves your info. So add those photos back in as mentioned then save right out of the listing and there you have it.

Possible Steps or extra steps:

step 3:

Sometimes, when its really buggy, you will need to add only a few photos at a time and then save your progress by saving right out, then revise the listing again and add a few more, rinse and repeat until all your photos are added back.

Also

step 4:

Sometimes if the listing isnt too bugged you can add all the photos at the step 2 before saving all the way out. Doesnt always work.

Message 12 of 28
Latest reply

Thanks for the tip - I'll try this next time the problem happens.

Message 13 of 28
Latest reply

I'm getting this frustrating error again today with a brand new listing. There are two variations in the listing and following the previous post's advice I went to check if it was a problem with the photos. (I had uploaded 3 photos: a main one, and one for each of the 2 variations.)

When I go to "Change pictures", the variations have vanished - both the photos and the actual variations, although the variation drop-down box is there with my variation "Pack size" visible. Because the variations have vanished there's nowhere to upload pictures to! (The variations still appear as normal on the previous pages where you input them.) The variations showed up fine when I first made the listing, and the pics uploaded fine. It was only after getting the error message, and returning to this screen, that the problem occurred. I've logged out, closed and reopened my browser and still can't add images for those variations.

Message 14 of 28
Latest reply

yep all part of the bug. If you have a few "Show variation" types you can switch to another then switch back to "Pack Size"(in your case). then readd your photos. sometimes you need to go right through the variations again by starting at "add/edit variations". that sometimes resets it. If you try all these and it still says there is an error when you try to finalize listing, you can switch like i said above, then not add photos but instead finalize listing then go straight back in and add them then finalize again. Basically you saving it in stages.

A hell of a lot of **bleep**ing around sometimes but until they fix the bug its the only way to skin a cat when it happens. Hope im clear, if not let me know and ill put it in steps for you.

GL.

Message 15 of 28
Latest reply

Only had one variation so I couldn't switch it. I couldn't finalize it because of the error. Couldn't even save the Pictures page to continue because I got another error saying the image was invalid or something.

Finally I went back to the previous screen where you enter the variations and changed them slightly (added a space), which caused eBay to dump all the images as it usually does. Then I could re-add all of them and it worked after that.

Message 16 of 28
Latest reply

Had the same problem using Chrome... I tried with Firefox and worked straight away!

Message 17 of 28
Latest reply

Yes...happens all the time....I usually "save for later' and after 5 minutes it will work???!!!

Message 18 of 28
Latest reply

Waiting and returning to the listing to try again has never worked for me.

eBay Support just sends me form replies when I write to them, except the one time they said a technician had looked at and it was now okay to list... but still it didn't work. Silence when I told them so. Very frustrating as I'm paying for a store yet randomly can't list items.

Message 19 of 28
Latest reply

Same problem, . Using Internet explorer.

I found if i cancelled on the last picture page on "edit variations" rather than save, it saved the details and pictures anyway.

Message 20 of 28
Latest reply