reliable alternatives to australia post in australia

I am fed up with the extravagent prices of Australia Post. I am a private seller who normally has a good clear out in Nov/Dec.

Can anyone recommend an alternative, less expensive but trustworthy courier service. I do not send overseas.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 37
Latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Let Me know if you find one Couriers DO NOT deliver Australia Wide

Gayle

Message 2 of 37
Latest reply

Really? Thanks for your reply, I was hoping.......

Message 3 of 37
Latest reply

I'd just stick with Australia Post.  Sadly this is the best there is...

Message 4 of 37
Latest reply

Oh well, I have seen lots of courier ads, but they are probably too good to be true.

Here is an example of the unfainess of AP system......

My daughter ordered a sauna from China it was around $260.00 compared to paying around $600 here, so she thought it was worth the chance especially as she paid by paypal.

Well they got a call from the local post office saying there is this MASSIVE box to pick up. So her partner drove down there and it was about 5-6ft tall, luckily he had his ute so loaded it on and took it home and when they opened it, it was a commercial, cinema popcorn machine!

So my flabberasted daughter got on to the seller and they suggested that she post it back and that they would then reimburse her and send the sauna, mmmmmmm so she checed with AP because the sellers offered to pay $15 post lol and it would have actually cost $288.00 to post it back.

There is something very wrong here where we are subsidising Chinese and other similar imports and being slaughtered for sending stuff here in Australia.

I sold a lot of my daughters bits and bobs to earn her some money when I was in England last year, what a different system.It was so cheap to send things. Here the postal charge is way more than the value of the object being sold.

Somebody needs to sort this bloody rort out. Any and all suggestios are wecome. Thank You.

Message 5 of 37
Latest reply

I have started to use Officeworks Mailman and have been testing the waters there for the past month or so since the last price rise...so far, all is good, the service is definitely cheaper on most parcels and the delivery times seem to be quite speedy...can only wait and see what happens... it would appear to be a good system, there are a few issues however they seem to be listening to the people who use it and are sorting through them slowly...Recording of the post codes makes another step for the seller, they need to add them when paying for the labels, can only hope it happens....Officeworks are open 7 days as well so that can be a positive too for a lot of sellers...

Message 6 of 37
Latest reply

There are very few Officeworks stores compared to Post Offices.

And Mailman does not deliver to all areas in Australia.

Message 7 of 37
Latest reply

Do they have a list of excluded areas? One problem for me is that I am a very nervous driver so can only just manage the local AP.

Message 8 of 37
Latest reply

Well I feel that they need to lift their game, such a rip off. I totaly understand that they must have lost heaps of business since email etc has replaced the old method of sending letters. But they really should take a reality check if they wish to improve their profit margin.

As a woman who has run businesses,I know  you dont gain business by giving a more expensive service, you gain business by adding value for your customers. For goodness sake they should look at a smaller package size eg 100-150gms, it is ridiculous to jump from a very thin letter to a 500 gram package, then to a 3kg. 

They need to meet the market and then their business would grow. You do not grow a business by alienating customers.

They could make a lot of money by satisfying frustrated consumers.

You can see it everywhere, people selling on FB, Gumtree etc, just to avoid AP.

Message 9 of 37
Latest reply

Popcorn machine instead of a spa ?

Yeah, I can see how they can mistake that. Smiley LOL

If you haven't sorted that one out yet, I would sell the popcorn machine here and ask the seller for a discounted spa sent out.Smiley Wink

Lyndal, what are Riteway express like these days ?

Back in the 1980's we organised through the giftware association a deal with them and could send packages almost anywhere in Aus for around $5.

My thought lies around contacting a courier company to do a deal for the eBay community.

image host
Message 10 of 37
Latest reply