removing active content and contact details from listings

It seems Ebay are determined to put their product details in my listing even though I don't want it. My bidder withdrew their bid as the Ebay product details were very misleading and seemed to imply that the item I was selling was not the one I described. When I chat to Ebay I am told that this product detail from Ebay cannot be left out. What has happened to the OLD Ebay which was so easy. I am a 78 year old pensioner and find it very unhelpful when things change like this. We are the sellers so surely we can decide what we want!!

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

removing active content and contact details from listings

@cassiebell22 wrote:

It seems Ebay are determined to put their product details in my listing even though I don't want it. My bidder withdrew their bid as the Ebay product details were very misleading and seemed to imply that the item I was selling was not the one I described. When I chat to Ebay I am told that this product detail from Ebay cannot be left out. What has happened to the OLD Ebay which was so easy. I am a 78 year old pensioner and find it very unhelpful when things change like this. We are the sellers so surely we can decide what we want!!

My advice is to not list using ebay catalogue data OR use the data but make it plain in your listing that the ebay data is wrong.

I sell books and there is a HUGE problem with category mismatching - I recently had two editions of the same book classed to different categories.

With DVD's you'll find the catalogue data may be for a foreign release with a totally different cover.

Just be plain about it - ie say something along the lines of "eBay catalogue data is incorrect for this product. This is the Australian release with the cover shown" or similar.

To cater to mobile users who frequently fail to read the full description, make sure you include info in the condition description which is always shown on the main app page.

Something along the lines of "Condition Brand New - Note: eBay product data is wrong: see extended description for details"

Selling at the moment is a bit of a challenge as eBay has not vetted the catalogue data it is using so we need to work around this.

I you see incorrect data in the catalogue when you are selecting it there is a little flag symbol nearby; click on it and you can at least let ebay know what's wrong by choosing the correct category.

This won't help with the listing you are doing but it may improve the catalogue later on.

I'm afraid it's typical of ebay to throw a big change at us and then require us to do the vetting work they should have done beforehand.

Message 2 of 2
Latest reply