the $6.95 small parcel rate is a pain

How can I expect buyers to pay $6.95 postage for a $7 brooch that is just too fat to send safely at the large letter rate ๐Ÿ˜

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

I tell any buyer who asks that I have no control over Australia Post charges - and once something is over 2c m thick, the ONLY way I can send it is by parcel rate. I point out that A.P. removed the under 250 gm category some time ago as well, in case they were not aware that it no longer exists.

You could always combine the postage cost into your listing and sell it for $14 with "free" post!

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

I have the same problem at times, with my item cost being less than the postage cost.  I encourage any buyers to buy other items so that I can combine the items for no additional postage cost.  The other day I sold a roll of coins for $8.99 with $11 postage.  The buyer bought another roll of coins for $8 with no additional postage.  Instead of paying $19.99 per roll if he bought one roll he ended up paying $14 per roll by buying two.

Try to have items listed that can be combined for no additional postage cost.  Make sure you point it out in your description.  This strategy could result in increased sales and happy buyers.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

If there's a chance you can package it under 2cm, rigid card mailers are a good alternative to padded bags for delicate items, as they offer much more protection so that you don't need to add as much yourself, just make sure it can't rattle around inside. That way, they'll go as letters and be well-protected.

Otherwise, it's as above.

One of the things I do sometimes is split the difference - for example, a $20 item requiring parcel rates becomes $22-23 with $5 P&H.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

tdom1990
Community Member

If items will fit in a CD mailer that will reduce the postage cost a bit. I have posted jewellery in them before.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Hi:)

I am a regular buyer and just popped in to give my 2 cents worth. I understand that postage rates/charges are out of sellers' control. I get suspicious if a seller is offering 'free postage' on items- there is no such thing as 'free....'!! as this usually means that the post charge is in-built in the selling price. I much prefer charges to be TRANSPARENT.(I99% of the time I check post charges before placing a bid and will not place a bid if the post charge is 'hiked' above what would be an acceptable charge from item location to me plus a couple of dollars handling and packaging costs-I don't mind paying a little extra for this if seller has mentioned in their item/post details)

I get buyer satisfaction from purchasing multiple items from sellers- COMBINED POSTAGE gives me greatest value.  

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

That wasn't your 2 cents worth, that was just you having a whinge about postage cosr after you did the same thing in your thread.. 

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

glenn8354
Community Member

I understand where you are coming from, I work in the front line for Aust Post and yes unless you can keep it at 20mm thick it goes parcel rate. Don't ever use padded bags keep it as flat as possible & go into the Post Office & ask for a letter gauge for your use, your item needs to slide through smoothly. We cop a lot of flak in regards to this issue, I myself believe it is unfair to sellers, but this is where Aust Post is making their profits

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

I sell books, beryl and a lot of them sell for less than $6. But people still buy them and will pay $13.45 for them.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Beryl, I also have a problem with this as sell quite a few "fashion jewellery" brooches .  I have found the boxes a lot of chocolates come in are just the right size to fit in most of the brooches I sell, and other small items, with some bubble wrap protecting them.  The cardboard protects them and they fit well in the envelope without letting the item float around inside.  Haven't had any problems so far. I do have a letter guauge which I use frequently.

I use Cadbury and Lindt boxes - just means you have to eat more chocolate or get others to save the boxes for you :-x