when you have posted an item & tracking says its delivered but the buyer says they havnt received it

when you sold an item and tracking says it was delivered ,so you have done everything right but the buyer says they didnt receive it what do you do?advise please

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

when you have posted an item & tracking says its delivered but the buyer says they havnt received it

The first thing you'll need to do is lodge an inquiry with Australia Post - you can copy the confirmation email of the case to the buyer if it will help reassure them that you're taking action. (I'm assuming the buyer knows it was a tracked delivery and that you can see it's marked as delivered). 

If the package was safe-dropped, they should have a photo of where it was left, so the buyer might be able to find it that way (sometimes it's in an unusual place). If AP determine the package was mis-delivered to a different address and it can't be retreived, you should be able to get compensation of up to $50 if the packages was uninsured, or the full amount if it was insured. 

As the tracking shows delivery, if something has gone wrong the buyer basically needs you to help them find out what happened, as they won't be successful with a case for item not received (either on eBay or through PayPal), however that doesn't mean you have an obligation to refund or replace if Australia Post say it was successfully delivered to the correct address, so if that turns out to be the case, hopefully the buyer will understand that you can't be held responsible for what happens to a package once it's been delivered to them. 

I did have one case recently where they buyer contacted me after dealing with Australia Post themselves, and they had gotten to the point where AP were prepared to provide compensation, but they would only give it to the sender so you could tell them to lodge an inquiry, however you may still need to be involved at some point. 

In cases where AP pay compensation, I refund or replace immediately and then wait for the money order - I haven't yet had a case where the buyer insisted on non-receipt while Aus Post insisted on delivery to the correct address,so no compensation was made available, but generally if the buyer was absolutely insistent, I would probably offer them the order again at cost, if I was able. 

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

I always ask the buyer to lodge an Australia Post case in this situation. Sometimes I never hear back from the buyer again or they flatly refuse, in which case I know it was at the very least a suspicious attempt at getting a freebie. If the buyer does lodge an Australia Post case then I take that as a genuine INR case and treat it as so and will do everything to help.

One point, when there is a tracking and it says Delivered, you are covered by both ebay and PayPal.

Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

From memory, if the item is "lost" in transit, the seller opens an enquiry.

If the item is marked "delivered", then the buyer opens the enquiry.

See the AP website for clarification.

Anything could have happened to it:

1) Stolen from outside house if no safe palce to store package

2) Someone in the house brought it in, but didn't tell buyer

3) Stolen from mailbox if buyer is in an apartment complex

4) Stolen from mailbox if not put all the way inside

5) Misdelivered

6) Buyer scamming you for freebie

7) Scanned as "delivered", when still in transit

Fortunately, tracking is there for YOUR protection, not the buyers. You have done your part and have no liabilty.

Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

jaydee, it's also worth having a look through the buyer's feedback comments - both those they've received and those they've left for other sellers - to see if there are any "hints" from other transactions that this might be a ruse to try for a freebie.

But message the buyer as suggested by melbourneclearance and let them know Aus. Post. requires the receiver to initiate an investigation for items marked as "delivered" by Aus. Post, and also let them know you're happy to assist by providing lodgement information if needed.

As others here have mentioned, because Aus. Post have said it's delivered, you're covered, so it's not something to stress about - if the buyer starts becoming difficult about it, you can always point them to the relevant eBay/PayPal/Aus Post policies.

Good luck with it!

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

This is why you send everything with signature and insurance if over $50 value
Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

No, signature on delivery is a waste of money.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

@Cupboard - I agree with Tazzie that signature on delivery is a waste.

Most of my sales are $50+ and buyers DO NOT want an additional trek to the post office to get their items just because they weren't at home due to work or running errands. I make things easier for my buyers, not harder.

Signature is also meaningless if the item is misdelivered - anyone can sign for it.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

Having exactly the same issue at the moment (and remembered this thread). Waiting on the results of the AP investigation - if it was mis-delivered, then compensation is payable, and if it was stolen from the letter box, then it isn't payable.

I'm probably in the minority here but I disagree that a PARCEL being stolen from a letter box isn't AP's responsiblity. AP says that the buyer should provide a secure letter box, and as such, it isn't their responsibility if the article is stolen.

The problem is - letter boxes, as the name suggests - are for letters. I posted a parcel, which AP decided was small enough to go with the postie. Furthermore, the buyer locked her letter box to secure her letters - meaning that the postie wouldn't've been able to open the top to put it IN the letter box. Which means he's left it on or around the letter box.

I mean, she couldn't win. She doesn't lock it, her letters can be stolen, and if she does, then her parcel is at risk.

They don't have a photo of it because it was with the postie, not StarTrack. Apparently, only StarTrack takes photos of safe drops, so if your parcel goes with the postie, you've got nothing.

It was only $20, so I have no issue with refunding my buyer, but I don't feel that it's my - or my buyer's - fault if AP attempted to put a PARCEL in a LETTER box and then says it's our problem because she doesn't have a letter box that would fit a parcel.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Just a heads up for all sellers with parcels bound for Melbourne (and anyone who lives in Melbourne):

I've just spoken to AP about the above case, and they have agreed to pay compensation as the postie couldn't recall where he left it.

The AP rep did tell me, though, that there is currently a spate of mail thieves targeting Melbourne. Apparently, a segment aired on Today Tonight in Melbourne a few weeks ago about a thief who was following the postie on his rounds and stealing mail after it was put into letter boxes. A bunch of undesirables watched the segment and thought, "that's a good idea!", so now it's the thing to do. On dirt bikes, push bikes, or on foot.

I mean, this can obviously happen anywhere, but if you're not already insuring parcels over $50, you might want to consider it.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply