Received damaged goods

janbe_5422
Community Member

I am new to ebay and I am having a return problem. I have been trying for weeks to return a dress I bought which arrived damaged, a red stain in a relatively unobvious location. I have pictures of the stain. When I could get no results from the seller, I contacted my credit card company to investigate and reverse the charge. The result was that the seller simply said I was wrong, there is nothing wrong with the dress. Charges were not reversed. I have proof, pictures! Is this how ebay is supposed to work? I doubt it!  I need to send a photo of the stained dress to the seller and file a complaint against the seller who is cheating me. 

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

You are on the Aussie boards here and are registered in the US.

Things may be slightly different there but I imagine much the same with MBG etc

It does'nt 'work' if you do not follow the correct process

If you do not know what that is, you need to read before buying and then when something is wrong, just do your own thing and expect to be covered

Buyers are given all the tools and all the power

But if you do not use those tools, don't expect eBay will help you

Being new should not prevent you from reading & using the eBay Money Back Guarantee on the listing.

Without knowing the exact time frame of your transaction it's hard to suggest any remedy to your self created problem.

You should have opened a return/refund request immediately. Under eBay’s MBG (Money Back Guarantee), you have 30 days from the date of receiving the item to open a refund request.

The whole “trying for weeks” scenario and the mention that you could “get no results from the seller” means you did not open an official request. The seller does not have to agree in the case of an item not as described – by which I mean that as long as you act within the timeframe for an eBay return/refund, you would be entitled to that in a case of SNAD.

It’s clearly too late for a refund under the MBG, and I have some doubt that you can open a PayPal return request (if you paid by PayPal, and if you are within 180 days of the transaction date) because you’ve already tried a chargeback. If you were denied a refund by your card issuer, any of the following may be why:

• purchase was months ago and past the timeframe permitted by your card issuer (noting different banks and different cards have varying timeframes, from one month to at most six months);

• chargeback claim stated something untrue such as item never arrived (and seller was able demonstrate proof of delivery);

• there was evidence that the item hadn’t been stained at time of delivery;

• too many chargebacks?

• you were required to return the item and you didn’t do so; or

• any other factor that might be relevant.

You could try a PayPal claim if you’re within the time period, but you may have no luck considering that PayPal will be aware of your failed chargeback.