The Dorroughby thread

Let's give Dorro his own little corner of the Books Board - he was such an active and valued part of the board, and we all have good memories of him.

He was a lovely person and great seller, always happy to help with information, and whenever eBay made one of its frequent changes and the rest of us were predicting that this time the sky really would fall, he was the voice of reason and control. And he was usually right.

I remember talking with him a few years ago about how he had switched from studying engineering to doing nursing. A radical thing for a guy to do in the 70s. He would have been a fantastic nurse.

http://community.ebay.com.au/topic/Community-Spirit/Just-Thought-Let/600146128

Message 1 of 90
Latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

The Dorroughby thread

I was always interested in Dorro's post on here and even though I never actually saw eye to eye with him on many things I always respected his view and his posts.

I am saddened to hear that he has passed away so prematurely

May Dorro rest in peace and be in a place of endless reading and healthy debating.

Message 2 of 90
Latest reply

The Dorroughby thread

I remember why he changed his eBay name from Dorroughby to Unkindled - a stand against the electronic book. A man not afraid to air his views. We will miss him.

Message 3 of 90
Latest reply

The Dorroughby thread

When I first started posting here I really didn't know what to make of Dorro as his views were often the opposite of mine.  But as Judy said, he was often the voice of calm and reason. While I was running around like a headless chook over the postage cap, Dorro calmly explained (over and over) how to work around it in calculated postage.

As I said on the other thread the excitement in his posts when he shared with us about the arrival of his grandson was palpable.  I'm sad that Tolly won't get to remember his grandad.

Dorro had a depth of knowledge about books that I was constantly in awe of.

Blardy hell, I have tears again.

Vale, Dorro.

Message 4 of 90
Latest reply

The Dorroughby thread

Update on grandchild: parents finally decided on 'Tolkien Amos' as first names - Tolly for short. It is really starting to grow on me.
Mind you, they could have called him 'Monday Snapdragon' (male version of Sunday Rose) and I'd still love him.

*sniff*

Message 5 of 90
Latest reply

The Dorroughby thread

Update on grandchild: parents finally decided on 'Tolkien Amos' as first names - Tolly for short. It is really starting to grow on me.
Mind you, they could have called him 'Monday Snapdragon' (male version of Sunday Rose) and I'd still love him.

Kel, of all the posts I've read about Chris in the last few days, that's the one that's got to me the most.   :_|

Message 6 of 90
Latest reply

The Dorroughby thread

Ditto for me on that one Judy. I do remember reading that post at the time & doing a mental hell yeah, cos that's the way I feel about my one & only grandchild too. Got the chin wobbles now & going to give my grandson a squeezy hug soon, after the wobbling stops though. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 7 of 90
Latest reply

The Dorroughby thread

The internet here has finally let me into the boards after many attempts, I heard about dorro yesterday and it has floored me. May he rest in peace and I hope his family are coping as best they can.

It was just far too sudden, and the presence that he had on ebay will sorely be missed.

RIP Dorro, you will be in our hearts and memories forever.

xx

The art of being wise is knowing what to overlook.'
William James
Message 8 of 90
Latest reply

The Dorroughby thread

laynesmum
Community Member

I got quite teary when I read about it yesterday.

He was always happy to help out with any problems, big or small. Such a vast knowledge of books has now gone.

His passing is going to leave a big hole in the Ebay community - and I'll miss him

๐Ÿ˜ž

Message 9 of 90
Latest reply

The Dorroughby thread

I'm so sad when I think about Dorro not being here any more.  He was always ready to help someone with books whether it was selling and the ins and outs of ebay or just knowledge about books.  As a reader only and not a seller, I valued his opinion and patience with explaining many things on this board especially when I was new around here.

I remember when he changed his ID and got stuck with being called Unk.  I think he was sort of an uncle to us all here but I'm sure he wasn't much older than some of us.

Yes, the joy of his grandson's arrival was a special time.  I'm so sorry that Tolly won't get to know him.

Dorro's son Lewis has just posted on Donna's thread.

RIP Dorro.

P.S. Can someone please pass the kleenex. ๐Ÿ˜ž

~ Mon ~
Message 10 of 90
Latest reply