Has anyone successfully posted a classified ad listing recently?

allfixelectrical
Community Member

I am trying to list a classified ad for local appliance repair services using the Home Services category.

I have created the ad but when I try to list it I get an error saying:-

It looks like there's a problem with this listing.
  • According to eBay policy, PayPal is no longer available for this item.

Paypal is not even a payment option on the listing form and as it is a classified ad, then there should be no payment options listed in any case as it is not possible to purchase from that sort of listing.

There are other payment options included such as credit card, bank deposit, etc. Some of these we have ticked and some we don't.

The price entered is simply our minimum callout fee for local in-home service.

At the moment the listing is saved in my drafts folder after spending several hours creating it.

I have already spoken to the ebay customer support concierge team but at this stage they have not been able to offer any suggestions and have promised to pass it onto the technical team.

I am not holding my breath waiting for a reply from them.

Message 1 of 3
Latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hmm... allfixelectrical, I think you may run into trouble with putting the price as the minimum callout fee. The Classified Ads policy states that the following is not permitted:

• Misrepresenting the “Advertised Price” of an item, service or property. The Advertised Price of the item, service or property should be consistent with information provided in the item description of the listing. Sellers should accurately represent the price of the item for sale.

• Listing multiple items, properties or specific services in one Classified Ad is not permitted, unless the items, services, or properties are being sold as a bundle or lot, or as a multiple quantity listing.

If the service is actually intrinsically more than the callout itself (and it would be; people wouldn't be paying for a callout on its own, because a callout on its own has no real value; it's not even necessarily including the cost of a quotation to do a job, but even if it did include the cost of the quotation, it doesn't include the service itself), then you'd be contravening not only the "advertised price" point but also the "multiple specific services" point.

I know that at least three other listings in the Services are for a quotation (I won't mention who they are), but simply because someone is getting away with it, it does not mean that you could do so. All it takes is one person to report the listing to eBay, and bam! it's taken down and the account is subjected to whatever punitive measures eBay decides upon.

There are also some decidly inappropriate and against-policy listings in this category, which put $1.00 or $.01 as the price but are clearly listing various "packages" with "booking fees" by percentage plus listing fees. Why a business would take the risk of listing in that way is certainly strange...

I am just not sure that an eBay Classifieds Ad is really suited to businesses offering services that don't have a specific cost, but rather have to provide a quotation for a particular job on an individual basis, so that it's not possible for you to list a standard price. It seems to me that Classifieds on eBay are for very specific things, such as these examples:

Hire a Clown for your Next Children's Party!

Flipsy-Wopsy the Clown will be there for 1 hour. Lots of fun for all the kids. Price: $150. Areas serviced: Sydney and surrounding areas.

Limousine Hire for your wedding or event.

Long limousine in immaculate condition, chauffeur-driven. Hire time is up to 2 hours from pickup to dropoff. $700. Gold Coast and surrounding areas.

Apple iPhone screen repair.

Flat fee $80.

Cleaning services.

Daily or weekly cleaner, or for one-off cleaning. Cleaning is $30 per hour, minimum 2 hours. (Please choose number of hours by selecting quantity.) Areas serviced: northern suburbs, Melbourne. Available Mon-Sat.

Now... trying to see why you're getting the error when you try to list...

I tried playing around with the options to recreate your situation. I'm assuming that you used the classified ad category of Services > Household.

When you preview the ad, is there any issue that shows up?

Are you using the Quick Listing Tool or the Advanced Listing Tool?

Are you using Seller Hub?

Which of the payment options did you include? (I selected Other, for the purposes of testing.)

I didn't try to actually list my test listing in this category, as the listing fee of $21.99 would apply. But perhaps looking at some of your answers to the above might help people here to pintpoint what the problem is, or work out a way for you to list. (If you choose to list, that is.

Message 2 of 3
Latest reply

Countess, how could the OP list anything but the call out fee.....they would not have any idea what the problem is until they look at the appliance.   Once they inspect the appliance they give a quote....the customer accepts or rejects the quote but stll has to pay for the call out.

Message 3 of 3
Latest reply