I am going to leave ebay soon.

Buyers and sellers will stop using ebay because when a problem arises that takes hours of time to solve, or cannot be solved, it is no longer possible to use.

The no-service model is not working.

Tom

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

What do you expect us to say?

You are quite free to leave ebay any time you like......the responders on the boards can't do anything about it and ebay could not care less.....and they don't read here so will not even know you have gone.

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

I usually tell people to treat eBay like you would have with the old Trading Post newspaper.

Have a look for a good price then go and pick it up and pay.

Or list something, buyers come to pick it up and pay cash.

Don't expect much more than an advertising medium reaching many people, then you won't be disappointed.

image host
Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

I too am leaving eBay once I copy and paste my listings into another selling venue. I don't use eBay often but on my recent bill my commission fee was 71c on a not very expensive item but there was $1.50 charge for the fee on the postage costs.

I charge only the actual cost of postage and skimming fees off something the buyer has no control over is unethical in my view.  I understand we have ebay users to thank for using higher shipping prices to avoid fees, but a high tech company like eBay could easily use an algorithm to pick up dodgy shipping prices and disallow a listing to be published until the postage fee is sorted ie. a reasonable fee not an extortionate fee.

While eBay is not doing anything illegal it doesn't mean it is ethical. I know we have the choice to use eBay or not and I had not used eBay for some time until recently and noted many changes.  The new policy of not being allowed to give negative feedback to buyers as well as poor service in many instances (including rote answers to a problem that is not covered in any drop down box) are other factors.  Another factor is the proliferation of false advertising including shop location as well as misleading practices when sorting items by price.

In my view the only way to keep businesses to account is to act.  One person leaving eBay is a mere drop in a big ocean to eBay but hopefully if many follow there might be more than a naive hope for change.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

The new policy of not being allowed to give negative feedback to buyers

It is NOT new. It has been around for at least NINE years.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Thank you for bringing that to my attention, I had no idea it had been around as long as that, though my focus was more about the principle.
Message 6 of 6
Latest reply