Purchase History Bug? Wrong item included.

Hi,

I'm a low volume buyer in the market here, so a wrong item in the history for 2016 was easy to pick up.

I've never dealt with the seller, but on checking my feedback listing I find that they've left feedback

corresponding to the phantom purchase entry.

Just posting here in case management want to follow anything up.  I don't want to post details in case it

makes the seller look bad when it's a software bug only.

thanks for the marketplace, which is the only one I care to trust online.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

This is a public forum with other members like yourself.

eBay don't read here.

That sounds like a very unusual bug.

Are you sure no one else in the family didn't make a purchase ?

Otherwise it's possible a scammer hacked in and purchased without paying.

You might want to change your passwords.

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

2 years ago, kopes. I suspect a hacker would have done something else in that time.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Did such an item every actually turn up at your house?

Is it possible it is an item you bought, and since the time you bought it, the seller changed their user name on ebay?

Is their a payment for such an item in your Paypal history ? 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

2 years ago, kopes. I suspect a hacker would have done something else in that time.

It may be one of those elusive sleeper hackers, waiting for their activation call...

(I think I have read too many thrillers.)

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Ah, the matrix eats us all in the end...Thanks for the responses all.

The narration on the index for this forum implies that ebay staff do check it: "When you experience a technical issue on eBay, we want to know. The eBay team will reguarly check this board for reported issues. " but I defer to more experienced market members on whether that is really the case.

There's definitely zero in my banking records of any payment around that time and zero records of interaction with any part of ebay for any family members. I went right down the rabbit hole as far as I could to make sure it was as unrelated as it is. The item sticks out like a sore thumb because it's highly *not* something I'd look twice at.

Or anyone else in the place for that matter.

Had already changed password, thanks for the advice nonetheless.

There's always the chance that some fool wants to conceal their buying habits this way - it would be plausible if they transacted with non-PPal methods.

It'd be up to the seller to give any extra detail on the 'transaction' if it needs following up I suppose, so I'll stop monitoring this thread.

I'm betting on ebay software bug myself. Once stuff gets as sophisticated as having cross references all over the shop, something's going to ping off the edge of the page.

For example, could a feedback request link for a seller be generated wrong by an item ID number, get followed and filled in without checking by the seller, and could that feedback somehow generate a purchase record?

I bet if I had a big turnover I wouldn't be too careful about filling in form feedback like "good buyer" or similar.

I'd probably have a script to do it if the volume was big enough.

Whatever, I'll leave it not marked with a solution, just in case anyone else gets a same experience and wants to search.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for all the responses.

You'd know better, but the index narration for this tech forum does imply that ebay staff check it.

I went down the rabbit hole about the record.

None of the suggestions about family buying it apply.

It's completely not something I'd even look at buying.

There's no payment record anywhere around the time in any of my banking.

It really doesn't worry me all that much, but in case there is some sophisticated hacking going on,

I've at least put it on the record if anything blows up.

I'll leave it not marked as having a solution.

Thanks again for the suggestions and yes I'd already made a password change.

If I see any more of that kind of activity I think I'd probably close this account and start from

scratch.   It's not as if I'd be throwing away much of a reputation - even though I'm very proud

of paying prompt and never arguing.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply