Ebay email about ATO

I received an email from ebay regarding , addressed directly to me, ATO need my personal detail, infact it was mentioned that ATO asking handover the personal details of all seller, who sold items of more than 10K from July 01, 2014 to June 30,2015. But this mail is not in my ebay inbox, It appears ligit: but still wondering about its authnticity. anyone have an idea about it? Is it Scam? need help in this regard. Cheers

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Ebay email about ATO

Contact eBay directly by going to Help & Contact at the top of your page and following the appropriate links.

It sounds like a scam, were there any links to click on in the email? If so, definately a scam.

Have you sold more than 10K in that time period?

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Ebay email about ATO

It's legit. There are a few that have got it and it happens most years.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Ebay email about ATO

It is not requiring you to click on any links or give any information.  it is just a notice to say that as required by the ATO, eBay  are passing on the listed information about you to the ATO

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Ebay email about ATO

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

It is legit.....it happens every year.

You are not required to do anything....it is just a notification from ebay that they are complying with the ATO's request for information.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

Ebay email about ATO

I got it and am dam peed off about it because the ATO have instead of looking at what I sold during a financial year at the US conversion rate have looked at it at the current conversion rate which adds another US$3000 to the total when it should only be US$6000 and it now makes it US$9000.

There is 1/3 difference in price of the dollar now compared to back then.

This is what I'm arguing with the ATO about grrrrrrr!

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Ebay email about ATO

I RANG HELP DESK ABOUT THIS AND IF IT IS NOT ALSO IN YOUR EBAY MESSAGES, THEN IT IS A SPOOF EMAIL  !

HELP DESK ADVISES TO FORWARD IT TO   spoof@ebay.com.au  (and then delete permanently)

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

Ebay email about ATO

Never got it in my ebay messages so you're saying that it's fake then?

You might be right because I'm sure that since the tax income threshold has gone up to $18000 then this $10000 ATO needs to be advised is no longer valid?

I'm just thinking this might be the case but not 100% sure?

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Ebay email about ATO

It is not spoof. they never send it to your ebay messages it's only ever sent to your email associated with it. it is addressed to you by name.
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Ebay email about ATO

@winkler78 wrote:

I RANG HELP DESK ABOUT THIS AND IF IT IS NOT ALSO IN YOUR EBAY MESSAGES, THEN IT IS A SPOOF EMAIL  !

HELP DESK ADVISES TO FORWARD IT TO   spoof@ebay.com.au  (and then delete permanently)

Don't waste your time forwarding it to spoof@ebay.com.au.  They will probably tell you it is a spoof.

Whether it is on not, you can delete or ignore it....it will not make a blind bit of difference to the fact that ebay will send your details to the ATO if you income falls within the guidelines.

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply