Buyer received refund + late delivery of item

Hi, 

I sold an item for $320.00 and posted via A Post.

The item went missing, the buyer opened a case and Ebay refunded the buyer.

Now the item has been delivered, 6 weeks late, so the buyer has the refund and the item.

I have tried to explain the situation to Ebay without success, can anyone give me any advice please?

Is there a standard procedure for these situations please?

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Buyer received refund + late delivery of item

Use the message/letter template in this thread.

Make sure to follow through.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Use the message/letter template in this thread.

Make sure to follow through.

I would just send a short friendly message to the buyer,  before using a threatening letter such as that.  If no answer in a couple of days,  than yes go for it.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

One would have thought this ' professional ' buyer would have notified the seller on delivery.

Six weeks down the track they now have the refund & the item.

A letter of claim to the buyer is well within reasonable action.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

@domino-710 wrote:

One would have thought this ' professional ' buyer would have notified the seller on delivery.

Six weeks down the track they now have the refund & the item.

A letter of claim to the buyer is well within reasonable action.

Ah I'm sure you said there is no such thing as a professional buyer.

Consistency.

I guess I'm a gentle touch before a sledge hammer approach person.  

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

LOL - you finally get it - noted the '....' in professional.

And - a gentle touch before a sledge hammer - who said - you hit the buy button - now pay for it. 

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Sounds like this buyer has had plenty of time to do the right thing and has chosen not to

Beyond the feather duster/gently gently approach stage I should think 

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:

Sounds like this buyer has had plenty of time to do the right thing and has chosen not to

Beyond the feather duster/gently gently approach stage I should think 

The buyer got the refund a few weeks back, by the sounds of it, but we are not told exactly when the  item was delivered. However, you would think a buyer would contact a seller pretty well immediately if they intended to refund or return.

Sad to say, I know several people who do believe that if an item comes late, they are entitled to it and the refund as compensation for their trouble. Often they have gone on to buy a replacement by the time the original arrives.

However, I think sugar is right in this, that a friendly, though professional message, would be the way to go for starters. Even if mags just contacts the buyer and says they notice that the item has been delivered, albeit 6 weeks late. And apologise for the delay & ask if the buyer would like to keep it and repay or if they would prefer to return the item. Then explain that if they would prefer to return it, you are able to send through a postage label so there will be, of course, no expense to them.

Some buyers may not have contacted the seller because they are not prepared to return a late item at their own expense. That could be the hold up. Once they know it will be paid for, they may be willing to return it.

Should the message get ignored, then it is time for a harder approach.

As a buyer I would much prefer a friendly contact first, that helped me see the options and sort it out. This situation is not of their doing, so give them the chance to save face first before implications of theft.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

You are 100% correct Domino. Some people likes to say something for the sake of saying something/nothing

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Having said this Springy - just a question - if you were in this situation as a buyer - what would you have done/would do - having been refunded & also received the item - for which you were refunded. ??

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply