Buyer received refund then he acknowledged item had been delivered.

Item was tracked with signature  but Australia Post couldn't find it. After 21 days the buyer asked for a refund. I paid the refund then two days later Australia Post said the item was delivered.  I asked the buyer if he had received the parcel and he said he had. I've asked him to please pay for it,  but have had no response.

This is almost $1,000.

What are my options?

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Unfortunately I just refunded on request because he had been so patient waiting for his parcel, and Australia Post didn't have a clue where it was. He bought multiples of one listed item, sent in one parcel. 

Thanks for your information.

Message 11 of 32
Latest reply

Wow, thank you so much! I will certainly be using your template/exemplar. 

Excellent information and  suggestions. 

Thank you again.

Message 12 of 32
Latest reply

I hope it works out, but in future, never just refund based on emotion or request. Tell the buyer that all items are delayed and out of your control. You can also move out your handling time for future purchases to maybe even 10+ days to give yourself a bit of a buffer.

Do not do anything unless there is a dispute opened. This way, Ebay is "formally" notified that there is an issue of concern and everything is documented in the system. I mean, 3 weeks is far too early to be giving refunds anyway. Some items are taking much longer than that due to backlogs etc, which is why the longer handling time buffer will come in useful.

Let us know how it turns out.

Message 13 of 32
Latest reply

Yes, you're right, should have waited and  I probably trust people too much.

Never had this happen before, so I didn't really know what to do. 

I know now  😞  and appreciate all the help from people  here.

Will let you know how it pans out.

Message 14 of 32
Latest reply

Look at it as business only and you need to protect your own interests. That's why longer handling times, tracking/signature etc, are there for YOUR protection, not the buyers.

Trust is for family, friends and those who prove themselves to us.

A random buyer does not earn trust simply because they spent a lot of money with you.

Always come to the forums first if you feel unsure about the situation. We have a ton of knowledge here and Countess has given you a brilliant bit of wording to put to use.

Message 15 of 32
Latest reply

I am now filling out the Countess' letter to send to him.

Thanks again for your advice.

Message 16 of 32
Latest reply

Best of luck. hopefully the buyer will do the right thing, or if not, be made to do so

Message 17 of 32
Latest reply

@halthemag wrote:

I am now filling out the Countess' letter to send to him.

Thanks again for your advice.

Don't forget the police report - it would add a bit of oooommmfff.

Message 18 of 32
Latest reply

I sent the above message (with my details of course) to the buyer via ebay and received a reply within an hour to say sorry, he has been away from the office.  He also asked if he pays me or ebay.

Amazing what gentle pressure will do.

Lets hope he does actually pay.

Message 19 of 32
Latest reply

Tell him that he needs to pay you. There is no way for him to repay via Ebay.

You could send a Paypal invoice, but  Ebay now scrambles the buyers email address, so you would have to ask for it in an Ebay message. There will be a Paypal fee for receipt of funds - around 3%.

Alternatively, you could arrange bank transfer - preferable as there are no fees.

Others will clarify if this is ok since Ebay has a habit of blocking messages conveying this kind of information. It should be ok since there is no longer a transaction between you.

Message 20 of 32
Latest reply