Foreign languages : translations of the item description

stem89
Community Member

Who monitors the descriptions of items sent from non-English speaking sellers? That is, who checks the translations to make sure the descriptions are accurate?

An item I've just received from China was sadly very little like the item described and advertised. 

When something is described as a  "Men Women Fox Fur Hat Russian Winter Ear Warmer Cap Ushanka Cossack Ski Beanie" with no punctuation and the accompanying pics show big fluffy hats (although I was prepared for the "fox" to mean "faux"), one would think the item had a crown. A couple of pics showed what could have been either a black crown or the model's hair but it was the words "Cap", "Hat" ,Beanie" (and the price which was too high for a headband) which led me to expect a hat. 

What came was a thin, faux fur elasticized band to put around the ears.

Yes, I know - buyer beware.

I've contacted the seller, who was polite and friendly and communicated very well throughout the selling process, to ask would they please remove the words,"cap", "hat" and "beanie" from the description as all of them have crowns and cover the head whereas the earwarmer just covers the ears. This item took so long to arrive that the feedback button was missing from my buying page, so I couldn't leave negative feedback.

Message 1 of 2
Latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Foreign languages : translations of the item description

No one monitors listings.

eBay is primarily an automated system and relies on other members reporting if there is a problem.

Even then, some sellers make new accounts and continue to ignore rules.

Asian sellers are notorious for it.

So as you say, Caveat Emptor. If you are not sure, hit backpage and choose another seller.

image host
Message 2 of 2
Latest reply