Seller asked me to close dispute

seller has asked me to close my case so that they could proceed with my refund, this is what they said:

"Dear, Thank you for your quick reply, we are very sorry for cause this problem, if the case opening, there is no option to 'cancel the order', so pls feel free and close it, so that we can click it and issue the refund, pls kind check, thanks."

Is that true? Should i close my case or keep it open and get ebay to step in?
Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Definitely don't close the case until you've received the refund - but definitely close it once you've received the refund.

One possible reason why some sellers ask you to end disputes: we sent the wrong item to a fellow a week back; as soon as the buyer informed me, I quickly sent the correct item. 

Meanwhile, he opens a dispute. As usual, Ebay doesn't offer sufficient options for response, giving only Buyer gets to keep the item and gets a refund, Buyer returns the item and gets a refund, and Contact Buyer. No option to say "Replacement item sent".

So, I respond via the "Contact Buyer" field, and explain that the correct item's been sent, and should be with him soon. He replies, thanking me.

But he doesn't close the dispute, and I can't. A few days later, Ebay close the dispute, claiming that I haven't responded to it - which I have; there's a reply from the buyer, thanking me. And naturally, they refund the buyer.

So, he's gotten two items for free, and I'm out an extra postage fee. All he had to do was close the dispute once he received the correct item - which he didn't do.

If a seller gets burnt that way enough times, they may well request that the buyer close a dispute, on the basis that a lot of buyers don't realise that they have to close a case once it's been resolved otherwise Ebay will leap in and "fix" something that's already been fixed...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Once closed you cannot reopen one.

Explain to the seller you are not closing it until they refund.

image host
Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

@trulybaz wrote:

Is that true? Should i close my case or keep it open and get ebay to step in?

No it's a lie, do as Kopes said and do not close the dispute until you have a refund.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

Definitely don't close the case until you've received the refund - but definitely close it once you've received the refund.

One possible reason why some sellers ask you to end disputes: we sent the wrong item to a fellow a week back; as soon as the buyer informed me, I quickly sent the correct item. 

Meanwhile, he opens a dispute. As usual, Ebay doesn't offer sufficient options for response, giving only Buyer gets to keep the item and gets a refund, Buyer returns the item and gets a refund, and Contact Buyer. No option to say "Replacement item sent".

So, I respond via the "Contact Buyer" field, and explain that the correct item's been sent, and should be with him soon. He replies, thanking me.

But he doesn't close the dispute, and I can't. A few days later, Ebay close the dispute, claiming that I haven't responded to it - which I have; there's a reply from the buyer, thanking me. And naturally, they refund the buyer.

So, he's gotten two items for free, and I'm out an extra postage fee. All he had to do was close the dispute once he received the correct item - which he didn't do.

If a seller gets burnt that way enough times, they may well request that the buyer close a dispute, on the basis that a lot of buyers don't realise that they have to close a case once it's been resolved otherwise Ebay will leap in and "fix" something that's already been fixed...

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Thanks guys, looks like my only bet is to get ebay to step in, iโ€™d definitely close it once i get my refund ๐Ÿ˜‰
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply