is it possible to get an unreasonable and unwarranted negative feedback removed or retracted

hello all, is it possible to get an unreasonable or unwarranted negative ffeedback removed or attracted? I sold a used computer  with the item cleearly marked  as "local pickup only" but the successful bidder was over 900 commmoners away in Queensland and I'm in Syydney. I offered to arrange delivery, and said that I would get quotations from couriers with the cheapest being $39 door-to-door. However, my elderly mother fell over and was hospitalised which made a slight delay of a few days in me organising to book the courier. But when I discovered I would need to stay at home for the courier to collect the box I arranged for a friend to take the box to Australia Post to deliver door-to-door. It had a tracking number as well. The computer is an old Apple Macintosh in an original padded Apple Macintosh carry bag which would prevent it from getting any damage in transit. It was placed inside a snug fitting box at Australia Post and then sent and arrived in 2 days. I then informed the buyer that the computer was being delivered by Australia Post he replied stating "I paid $45 for a courier didn't I?". Which I explained that I woulld need to wait at home for the courier (which I was unable to do) and sent it by Australia Post. The tracking shoowed it was delivered in 2 days. When I checked eBay I discovered the buyer left a negative feedback stating "I paid for courier and deliverred by Australia Post. Packed inbox with no padding". any advice would be appreciated. Regards Greg

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

is it possible to get an unreasonable and unwarranted negative feedback removed or retracted

You could try but I doubt it.

Reason being, that is the experience the buyer felt without breaking the rules of feedback language.

Perhaps ask the buyer if there is something you can do to have the feedback revised, at least to a neutral seeing as the item is still in the condition it was sold as. (working)

image host
Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Just curious, what was the diff between the courier and AP price?  If so did you refund buyer.  I understand where you are coming from with the having to stay at home for courier but your change in delivery method may not have suited the buyer.

I would be careful with your selling in future.  Your rating is now very poor with so few sales.

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

I received a $39 courier quotation and offered the buyer $45 for courier and postage and handling (to purchase a box and pack it ready to be picked up), but when I found that I would need to wait for the courier I got a friend to take it to Australia Post which quoted $29 plus $3.40 for tracking, total $32.40. A difference of $12.60. As there had already been a slight delay in me sending the box due to falling and hospitalised, I thought it would be  simpler and quicker to get it delivered rather than the buyout waiting longer. When II cheecked the Australia Post tracking number and discovered that iit had been delivered last Friday afternoon, the buyer was not at home annd had to retreat it around 1.5 hours later from Australia Post. So regardless whether it was Australia post or courier, the buyer was not at home and would have needed to retriieve it either from Australia Post orr the courier depot (which probably the latter may have been further away). The fact is that the item arrived safely in 2 days. While awaiting feedback from this community message board I've been in contact with the buyer  his biggest gripe was that there was a cost difference between Australia Post and Courier and the box did not bubblewrap. We had a number of discussions prior to me sending the item so there was clear lines of communication, and his feedback this morning was that he did not enjoy the experience. Obviously it is a 1st world problem.

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

You really should have refunded the buyer the difference as soon as you found that there was a difference.

Only thing you can do now is cop it on the chin, move on, and learn from the experience. 

Don't leave feedback for the buyer, and add them to your "Blocked" list.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

By your own account of the transaction the feedback is accurate so why should it be removed.

You can't charge for a courier and then send by a cheaper AP service, especially without refunding the difference to the buyer.

How did you think a courier was going to pick up the item unless you were there to give it to him?

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

The item was being offered as "local pickup only" and as the buyer lived over 900 km away I offered to get it delivered by courier. I got a $39 quote, which was $100 cheaper than my 1st quote, and told the buyer that I would charge $45 to cover the cost of running around to get a box, packaging and labelling it ready to send. He accepted the quote. To try to speed up the postage and sending process (as there had been a slight delay with a family member in hospital and Easter weekend), and to negate me waiting around for a courier, I told the buyer I would send it by Australia Post which left on a Wednesday and arrived 2 days later at the delivery address intact without any problems. It was a 30-year-old Apple Macintosh computer that was packaged in a tightfitting box not requiring bubblewrap and encased in its original padded carry case, which is very sturdy to prevent any damage to the computer and the peripherals that were included in the sale. The buyer gave good feedback on the item but negative feedback on postage. I also had requested the buyer contact me when the package arrived which he failed to do, and if he did we could have discussed the issue where I could have considered offering a $12 discount. Although I believed I was doing the buyer a favour by organising the delivery, which I charged him the agreed  $45 (including postage and handling), and the item included tracking code and arrived within a couple of days and intact, I got unnecessarily **bleep** on. I have subsequently contacted him about the negative feedback and his answer was that "I didn't enjoy the buying experience". Really, obviously everybody has different life experiences and the buyer has not too much to worry about. A real 1st world problem!

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Save the paragraph

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

not sure what you mean by "save the paragraph"
Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

@speedfreak2001wrote:
not sure what you mean by "save the paragraph"

It means instead of putting a large block of writing in the post use paragraphs so that others can easily read your post.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 10 of 16
Latest reply