I ordered an item on ebay and the seller told me the item was broken and that I needed to organise a

The seller said the item was broken and they had no stock so I had to deal with ebay on my side. But I wasnt able to do that until x date after, which was really frustrating. 

After the date passed I opened a case with ebay and they said they would try to contact the seller. I was not updated at all until I was told that I had not responded, neither had the seller and the case was closed. There was never an option for me to ask ebay to step in. 

I'm really frustrated, why did they not message me when the seller didn't respond or issue a refund then? I was assuming I would get an email and nothing. But now when I try to open a case they say it was already closed. 

It feels really scammy that the seller can list something, sell it, say it was broken and that it is my responsibility to take care of everything.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Yes, you can only open a case once. It means that buyers really must keep an eye on the case. If a seller refuses to refund or provide a satisfactory solution, the buyer must escalate the case.

The ability to escalate should appear no sooner than three business days after opening the case. You’d have seen the option become available within the case.

If you don’t escalate the case within 21 days of opening it, the case will automatically close with no resolution.

OP, it looks as though you somehow didn’t escalate within that timeframe. All communication is within the case.

The only thing I can suggest is that you contact eBay Live Chat and explain that you honestly didn’t see the option to escalate and that you were not refunded. Ask earnestly if they’ll look at the communication between you and seller and see that you weren’t refunded. Ask if they will action a refund for you. Don’t say any of this in a demanding or accusatory way.

I am not sure you’ll get any joy by trying this, but you can give it a go.

If you have no luck, and if you paid by PayPal, you can open a case through PayPal.

If you didn’t pay by PayPal, but funded your purchase by card, you may be within the timeframe of your card provider to do a chargeback.

So… STRICTLY in this order, and only trying another method once the first avenue has failed…

eBay                            (and if no luck, then ->)

PayPal                         (and if no luck, then ->)

bank/card issuer

Welcome to Ebay! Home of the answered questions and responses. Wish I had an answer for you , but I too have been left with teh beitter taste in my mouth after using the for so many years.