Always a Buyer....and never a Seller be

So eBay thinks it is time I started selling something.  I get these messages every so often...and I delete them.

Anyone else out there who never wants to take up selling?

I should explain that I have mobility problems (which right now have been worse than usual) but suffice it to say that for starters, with all eBay's rules about sellers responding quickly to sales, I'd be soon regulated back to buyer only status in no time....thank goodness.

Let me put it this way, just getting to the post office, let alone struggling with parcels, has ensured I try to only buy stuff from sellers who don't insist on registered post (in case I miss the delivery and get carded), but are OK with ATL/safe drops.  The thought of trying to take parcels to the post office on a regular basis is stress I don't need.

When we can use drones to send parcels...or even better beam them directly to buyers, then eBay might (and I repeat MIGHT) be able to talk me into it. Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I have just received a rather enticing offer from ebay to become a seller but like you I have problems getting to the post office on a regular basis.

However, ebay does not know my personal circumstances so I see no reason to come to the boards to complain.

It is just an offer....no-one is twisting your arm to sell so why be ungrateful for an offer that would make many people very happy to try their hand at selling.

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

I have just received a rather enticing offer from ebay to become a seller but like you I have problems getting to the post office on a regular basis.

However, ebay does not know my personal circumstances so I see no reason to come to the boards to complain.

It is just an offer....no-one is twisting your arm to sell so why be ungrateful for an offer that would make many people very happy to try their hand at selling.

Arrggghh!!!

I was not complaining. (Note to self and anyone else similarly misinterpreted - use LOTS of smiley icons in board messages).

I was just curious to know if there were other buyers out there for whom these kind of eBay messages would fall on deaf ears (so to speak).

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

OP, on another site I sell on, there are some folks on there who have a disability or mobility issues and they come to the forums to say that they love being given an opportunity to sell their stuff, whether it be vintage, antique, handmade, or whatever.

Most of them have pushed out their handling times to 5 days or more (you can do the same here) and they might only go to the PO once a week.

There are rules and regulations for every main selling site on the internet, some things are better on other sites, some things are better here on Ebay. Amazon has an even higher bar than here with more rules and regulations than you can shake a stick at and you can't even use Paypal.

Plenty folks are simply buyers and will never be sellers and that's fine - we need both for the site to thrive.

Just ignore the messages from Ebay.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

The eBay messages don't annoy me, I just find them amusing and a bit like spam.  If they said it was free to sell for the next 5 years and I'd only have to visit the Post Office once a month it still wouldn't tempt me. Smiley Indifferent

Very true eBay needs buyers as well as sellers (I'm just debating on whether I REALLY want to spend in excess of $100 on something I'd like but can well do without). LOL

Adding to my original message my mother has, in her best cleanout mode, found some stuff she thinks might make good money if sold.  I got what I call her hopeful look.  She knows I'm on eBay....but really has no idea what that means.  She does know I buy stuff but of course she thinks selling is equally easy.  For me it isn't.  My mother is not internet savvy BTW.  Other family members - or so I've heard - do sell on eBay so I always suggest she ask them. 

I like the simple life....deciding whether to Buy or Not Buy???

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

So eBay thinks it is time I started selling something.  I get these messages every so often...and I delete them.

I should explain that I have mobility problems (which right now have been worse than usual) but suffice it to say that for starters, with all eBay's rules about sellers responding quickly to sales, I'd be soon regulated back to buyer only status in no time....thank goodness.

Let me put it this way, just getting to the post office, let alone struggling with parcels, has ensured I try to only buy stuff from sellers who don't insist on registered post (in case I miss the delivery and get carded), but are OK with ATL/safe drops.  The thought of trying to take parcels to the post office on a regular basis is stress I don't need.

When we can use drones to send parcels...or even better beam them directly to buyers, then eBay might (and I repeat MIGHT) be able to talk me into it. Smiley Wink

There's an easy way to avoid most of this. Do what I have. I have set up a web address just for ebay. I rarely visit it. When i do, it is to delete all the ebay messages in one fell swoop. I don't even have to look at them really, they are all ebay, tick delete, all gone.

They aren't cluttering up my usual 'real' email, although lots of other selling site ads are, but that's another story.Smiley Frustrated

If a message is important enough, it will go straight to your message bank here on ebay itself. You can message sellers from here too. You don't need to see email reminders every 5 minutes about things you are watching or whatever.

As for selling on ebay. I'm right near a post office, i could walk if i had a mind to (my mind doesn't usually work that way though). I used to sell but I see it as a bit of a minefield now.

If I had mobility problems though and wanted to sell, I would maybe set it up with a neighbour or friend, work at the business in partnership. Maybe agree to share the chores-perhaps you to wrap and label & the other person to post, or one to do the internet side, the other to wrap & post.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

I have 3 active selling accounts. I also have another account that sits there idle. I've used it twice to buy something when that account got a decent voucher.  Every few weeks it gets the offer of 10 totally fee free listings, as a carrot to start selling. I have absolutely no desire to have another selling account. I'm guessing it will continue to be offered that 10 free promotion.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@zanadoo_56 wrote:

As for selling on ebay. I'm right near a post office, i could walk if i had a mind to (my mind doesn't usually work that way though). I used to sell but I see it as a bit of a minefield now.

If I had mobility problems though and wanted to sell, I would maybe set it up with a neighbour or friend, work at the business in partnership. Maybe agree to share the chores-perhaps you to wrap and label & the other person to post, or one to do the internet side, the other to wrap & post.

I once had a partnership going with a woman in the UK.  About 11 years I saw something fairly rare on ebay that was going for 99p + 5gbp post and I got the other woman to buy it and then resell it to the US for 100gbp.  We found another one but had to pay 20gbp for it, but still well worth it.  We bought heaps of matching stuff but I think we only had two or three of the most expensive piece, all because I happened to stumble across something going cheap.  

We set up a new ID in the UK and she gave me the password, and I did the buying and got it all sent to her and she listed it, packed it and did the posting.  We split the profits 50-50 but she did a lot of work so I told her to keep what we had left at the end for herself.  We made about 500gbp each in the space of 3 or 4 months.  I had to spend a fair bit of time on the computer to find them on ebay because most of the people selling it didn't call it by its right name, which is how we got it cheap.  There was a whole range of items, half of which were never released in the US so they had to get them from the UK.  At one stage they were paying outrageous sums for it - we missed out on the most extravagant prices but we still did okay.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Fall on deaf ears absolutely lol.

I have been suspended for the past 2 years but every day I get these messages that my buyers are waiting for me to sell something.

So when I decide to sell something I get a Sorry but your account has been restricted.

I know it has and ebay knows it has so why barrage me with these messages lol.

I'm all for playing games but come on ebay stop it hahaha.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

It seems they are just rubbing your nose in it. Here, take that! 😄

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply