Am I being set up for a scam with German seller?

Hi Ebay community, am in Australia and have a question and need help please.

I recently won an item in Germany with a final price of EU62.00 and costing EU45.99 for postage using DHL (I tried to get the seller to find a cheaper option with Deutsche Post but they said it was around the same cost after investigating). I speak a little German and also used Google translate to ask questions. The seller seemed legitimate but hadn't sold much for a while (all with positive feedback in their profile) and our before/after conversations have been friendly.

The money was transferred to a bank account (as they said didn't have Paypal) and I was told it would be posted. Today I get a message that:

'... shipping is only possible with reservations, and since Monday with a surcharge of 25 euros on postage ...'

Is there anyone with German connections who knows this is true? They offered to send my money back but I'm not wanting to provide my bank details.

Anyone with experience of this? The seller claims to be in Northern Germany, near Hanover.

Thanks Andrew

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To everyone who has replied, thank you very much (or in Geman, 'Vielen danke!')! Smiley Happy

The information kindly shared is greatly appreciated. In Australia DHL doesn't advertise the connection with Deutsche Post so it was interesting to learn this.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It's most likely true.

Germany doesn't require to use PayPal on the German eBay.

Due to the virus, Germany cannot send to Australia via their normal post. I am still waiting on a package purchased 4 months ago to be sent.

As for the surcharge, there was another member posting here recently saying they were also told shipping would cost more from Germany.

So probably all legit and up to you if you want to pay the extra or ask for a refund.

Bank account number means they can only deposit into it.

image host
Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are not being set up for a scam.....the seller is telling the truth.

DHL is Deutsche Post as you could see if you googled it.

Paypal is not accepted in the German banking system so very few ebayers accept it....if you refuse to give the seller your bank detils he cannot give you a refund.

Most European countries are restricting their mail services so I imagine Germany is the same although I cannot verify the surcharge.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

From the Deutsche Post website:

At this time, transport capacities to Australia are substantially reduced. As such, special measures are required to maintain the shipping of letters and parcels.

Letter mail items weighing up to 500 g and with a maximum thickness of 2 cm (i.e., documents sent as individual letter mail, kilo-rate mail, etc.) can still be sent.

Warenpost and Päckchen products are no longer available for shipment to Australia until further notice

Private customers: Until further notice, the only option available for sending parcels to Australia will be via the Premium service.

Business customers/contract customers: DHL Paket International items can still be sent until further notice. Please note that an international crisis surcharge of EUR 3.60 per kilogram (or part thereof) will be applied to each parcel.

Edited to add: I also send from Australia to international destinations, using DHL. There have been emergency surcharges applied to my packages for months, so I wouldn't be suprised to hear they have it in place worldwide.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

Hi there,

My partner is German and in Germany.  I just asked her to give her local PO a call and ask if what you've been told is accurate, and it seems it is.  To post anything to here they must use the 'Premium' service, which costs more.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

To everyone who has replied, thank you very much (or in Geman, 'Vielen danke!')! Smiley Happy

The information kindly shared is greatly appreciated. In Australia DHL doesn't advertise the connection with Deutsche Post so it was interesting to learn this.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Why would DHL run around advertising who their customers are?

It would be like StarTrack advertising that they have the ATO and Passport Office as customers here in Sydney.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply