Any one else got the email for a $10 voucher if you use the ebay mobile app?

After I got the email I bought something on the ebay mobile app using a paypal account with the same email, but I havn't got an email with the $10 voucher.

Any one else got the email and received their voucher?

Terms and conditions for the promotion...

http://pages2.ebay.com.au/Buyer_coupons/Buyer_Mobile_September

Message 1 of 71
Latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

Hi i received the email too, Contacted ebay then they told me to contact paypal. So contacted Paypal then they told me to contact ebay! as they already spoke to the "ebay representatives"... Finally  after speaking to ebay they send me an email saying "we can assure you this email is not from us"? and that it is a scam even though i provided screen shots of the email and the terms and conditions took me directly to ebay.com.au? Anyone else had problems? Please let me know

Message 21 of 71
Latest reply

Did you check to make sure that it had been addressed to your current ebay ID? The first time I tried using mine I was told it was invalid, and it was only while waiting on the phone to speak with Paypal that I suddenly realised what the problem was, sheepishly hung up, then logged off ebay and back in again under the ID to which my email had been addressed, and had no trouble at all when claiming my $10 discount.
Message 22 of 71
Latest reply

CQ, from the threads appearing on the boards it seems that there are 2 different emails...the one you received and the one where the member must make a purchase using the mobile app to become eligible for the voucher itself.  That one appears to be fake...at least 2 posters have been told by ebay and paypal that they will not be getting any voucher.

Message 23 of 71
Latest reply

Yes Lyndal, you're quite right and it appears that there are indeed two completely different emails being distributed to ebay members, and it's only the one being sent via normal email which is being honoured by ebay & Paypal.

However, I can see no logical reason for anybody to go to all the trouble of producing a fake promotional discount voucher, especially when there's no possible way they could personally benefit from same. What would be the point?

I'm of the opinion that these emails probably did come from ebay but were meant for distribution to members in other countries, and in their usual incompetent fashion, ebay also sent them to Australian members in error.

What I don't understand is why ebay would claim that they're fakes when it would be far easier to simply admit that they were sent to Australian members by mistake, assuming that's what happened.
Message 24 of 71
Latest reply

cq_tech my email I received was sent by normal email which I retrieved on my computer.  I have never used the app before and do not retrieve emails on my ipad.

Seriously the emails do look like they were sent by ebay.  Everything about them reeks of being sent by ebay. The email itself is nearly identical to the email that you posted earlier, except there is no code included for the $10 voucher and it is conditional upon making a purchase through the app.  Also you have to click into the terms and conditions, but again it takes you to an authentic ebay page.  Same as all the rest on the email, clicking into deals, fashions, my ebay, customer support etc.... They all take you to normal ebay pages, even the paypal can be clicked into.

I don't know how to add photos in here, but am going to try and add screen shots which may or may not work just to show others what the email looks like, there is a double up of the terms and conditions which I did when I took the screen shots, only 1 in the original email.

ebay voucher photo 1.jpg

Then when I click into the terms and conditions from above it loads this page:-

ebay voucher photo 3.jpg

Fake, spam or whatever it is, they have done a very good job if all the links work taking you to ebay australia site, and they have our christian name, surname, and ebay user id. 

Message 25 of 71
Latest reply

The last part of the 1st photo added above which was part of the original email:-

ebay voucher photo 2.jpg

Also I have a junk and spam filter and this did not get filtered into those folders, and I also get other promotional emails advertising current deals on ebay and the return address is identical to this email I received.

Message 26 of 71
Latest reply

Kimmi, I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the email you received was from ebay and was completely genuine, given that they included your full name, user ID and attached email address, and I can't understand why ebay simply don't admit it instead of treating us all like the proverbial mushroom.

So somebody made a mistake. Well big deal, it's certainly not the first time and I very much doubt it will be the last so why not simply admit their error, apologise, and be done with it, instead of causing a lot of members to worry unnecessarily that their account details may have been compromised, when that's not the case at all.

I could say that I expected more from ebay, but I'd be lying if I did. 😞
Message 27 of 71
Latest reply

I for one, think they should man up and pay out to the members that met their terms and conditions and purchased through the mobile app.  Maybe if enough people complain they will.

This email is genuinely sent from ebay, they need to honour it and send the vouchers out.

I will be complaining loudly to them tomorrow.  If it is indeed spam or fake as they have made out it is, the personal details and security of a lot of ebay members have been highly compromised by ebay allowing those details to be used in this manner, and maybe this needs to be looked into further. 

Message 28 of 71
Latest reply

I too received the same email, and bought an item using their mobile app and received no voucher after that.

I'm sure there are many others that received the same email, and I'm pretty sure it is not spam as all the links point to the official eBay site.

Hope there's an explanation for this!

Message 29 of 71
Latest reply

@kimmidoll001 wrote:

I got one of those emails also.  I bought an item with the app, paid for the item with the app...... and no voucher sent. Smiley Sad

I rang ebay on the 1800 number today and I was told that it was a spam email and not sent by ebay nor paypal.  They also said that unless this message appeared in my ebay messages inbox it was not authentic, nor will they be sending out any voucher.

Kimmi, it sounds like yet another case of ebay's left hand not knowing what its right hand is doing. Also, when you contact them, you may care to ask why the email I received (and which was duly honoured) did NOT appear in my ebay messages inbox, even though it was clearly an authentic offer.

Purely on principle, this matter needs to be taken much further IMO.

Message 30 of 71
Latest reply