Anyone has issues with seller claiming they are shipping 'from Australia'?

Over the last few months, I have been having issues with my purchases. Last few months, I have decided to only buy from Australian seller, as I rather pay more for quicker arrival. Unfurtunately, much to my surprise, some of the parcel took twice as long as, compared to buying from China. A clock that I bought, arrived only aftrer 2 months! (it is supposed to be sent from Sydney to QLD). A neck brace that I bought from NT arrived after 7weeks!

We know Australia post can be slow but  not this slow! The tracking they provided were invalid. I believe what happened was that seller has a 'warehouse' or local address that they use for listing, when in fact  all items are actually shipped from China to their local address before it is being sent out invidually to local buyers, hence the overly lengthy transit time. 

Oh also, the 'estimated shipping time' is NEVER accurate with those 2-3 purchases I made. They keep changing the dates. 

This is just my speculation, I am not sure if anyone else have a better insight or explanation for such delay... 

Anyhow, nowadays, when I see the items located in 'Australia, Australia', Parramatta, NT - I avoid them at all cost because of bad past experience.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The estimated delivery dates are ebay fantasy anyway

Personally, when I am buying anything I always look where the seller is registered (sellers are allowed to put anywhere at all as the item location) 

I also look at their feedback to see if there are a lot of comments about being sent from overseas or the seller otherwise taking weeks to post

As far as Australia Post go, they have been getting worse and worse lately. All my mail (not ebay purchases) in the past month and a half have taken at least a week to reach me, all were sent from within the same state or from the next state (and I live in a major metro area)

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

There have been dozens of threads over the last few months about this problem.  No easy solution but as bear suggested check sellers feedback and place registered.  It is certainly not foolproof but can help you make the decision.  As for ETA, I never even look at that as I know that Ebay have a wonderful imagination. 

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Well, I am probably going to go another way with my suggestions.

I think in most cases the estimated delivery dates are or should be fairly close. I don't believe they are ebay fantasies at all. I realise that sure, delivery might actually be a few days either side, but the seller can choose the ETA range so in fact it should be a very close guide & I'd keep the seller to it, within reason.

Pay attention to the estimated delivery dates on the item you are looking at. If something is listed in Australia and has a more than 2 week delivery date, be wary, be very wary.

I know people will jump on that but generally speaking, something like 80% of Australians live in or near capital cities so that means there's no excuse in most cases for more than a 2 week ETA.

Second. The ETA on your purchase will not change. It might look as if it has. I remember thinking one of my items had a changing delivery date but in fact that is just because a similar item was relisted & it was showing the ETA for the new item. If you actually open the original purcahse info you will see the original delivery date range.

If that date passes and you don't have your item, make a claim. I'm not saying you have to do it immediately, By all means give it a few days' grace. But if it goes eg 5 days over, I'd write to the seller about it & if it hasn't arrived after a week I'd be inclined to open an item not received claim. If the seller doesn't have proper tracking, you'll win & get your money back.

2 months and 7 weeks wait time is not acceptable, not from Australia, not even from China. Don't ever be fobbed off again into waiting so long. Claim fast, especially if you have been given invalid tracking info on an item supposedly in Aust. Don't put up with that rot.

When you are looking to buy, by all means check out the feedback & if you see complaints about long delays, it can make you wary.

But the key factor is what is the delivery date on the item you are buying.

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

2 months and 7 weeks wait time is not acceptable, not from Australia, not even from China. Don't ever be fobbed off again into waiting so long. Claim fast, especially if you have been given invalid tracking info on an item supposedly in Aust. Don't put up with that rot.

A helpful way to keep track of the timelines is to add a note to an order in My Purchases. That note should include the last date on which an eBay MBG claim can be opened, as well as a reasonable date by which to expect items.

However, springyzone, I can't agree entirely with you about the original delivery date range. There are definitely factors which eBay's estimated delivery doesn't take into account. For example, if an item is coming from overseas, it doesn't factor in any industrial action, holidays, or weather events that can delay the process. It doesn't take into account the time it takes to deliver to the addressee from the moment of cargo plane touchdown. (This in particular is a huge issue.) And... I wish, I truly wish, that Australia Post were more reliable, but I know from personal experience that explicable delays can happen.

I live in a metropolitan area, well and truly within the express post delivery zone. I have sent items by express parcel, only to have them a) never reach the recipient, b) reach the recipient weeks later, or c) be returned to me. I remember one particular incident where something had to reach the recipient by a Friday at the absolute latest. I sent it on Tuesday, over the counter, express post. The recipient called me on the Friday; I called Australia Post; Australia Post couldn't track it. Some weeks later, I had a call. "Good news! We've found the missing parcel!" Ha. It wasn't good news. The recipient had left the country and it was too late now...

Admittedly, that was a few years ago. For a more recent example, I was sent an important document by mail - sender was in the same state, not in a remote area. This incident involves a third party; I was going to be acting upon the document for the third party. Third party was becoming increasingly upset... two weeks later I still hadn't received anything... I came up with an emergency plan involving time I could ill-afford, if the document had still not arrived by the Monday (which would be 13 business days after postage). Fortunately Monday's mail contained that envelope. I acted immediately to do what I needed to do on behalf of the third party, and before the end of the week express-posted the finalised document to the third party (in Japan). 4 business days later, very very very happy and relieved third party received the international express post document.

That highlights just how frustrating the mail can be.

That being said, parcels nowadays get to me in very good time - both domestic parcels and international parcels.

However, I would not worry about contacting a seller of an item on eBay until at least a week (perhaps more) past eBay's ETA.

Oh! I purchased a cezve (long-handled solid copper pot for making turkish coffee - in Romania, ibric) in April (not on eBay). It's not arrived at my US parcel forwarding address - it must have gone missing in transit, and I felt grounds of dark deprivation rise up in me! Hopefully the replacement sent by the seller will arrive within 2 weeks' time (for obvious reasons). I want to hold my Dracula dinner and it's essential that cardamom-scented Turkish coffee made in an exquisite copper ibric be served, as I hold to it that Stoker's Dracula drank this coffee rather than European coffee.

Besides, I am craving Turkish coffee. I have the "Balkan blend" beans and I want my coffee. coffeestat.gif

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Countessa, I agree that stuff can happen to delay deliveries but in my experience these are the exceptions rather than the rule.

For example, in the case you outlined where an item should have been there by Friday but in fact turned up weeks later. Had that been an ebay item, I would have been putting in a claim the following week, if I could. Or asking for a refund or for the seller to claim through Aust post or whatever.

I knoiw I sound impatient. maybe I am getting more so with age. But generally speaking, the ebay estimates are fairly close.

I'm not suggesting anyone open a case the day after an estimated delivery date has passed, but I wouldn't be giving them a month either. I think 5 days is reasonable.

But a lot depends on how a seller communicates with me, I think. If someone seemed very genuine and told me they had definitely posted an item on such & such a date, I'd probably give them a little longer, as opposed to someone who was supposedly in Aust but who kept saying wait. If I had any reason to suspect the item was not in Aust after being advertised as such, my toerance levels would be pretty low.

My experience though is most sellers like that pad out their delivery date. They may say they are in Aust & maybe they are, but if their item delivery date is a month off, you can almost guarantee that item is not in Aust.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Springyzone, the seller of the ibric has told me that the replacement should reach my US address "by Friday" (US time), so I will be keeping an eye on the folder in my inbox where the "Your parcel has arrived" emails are received.

I keep wanting to open the foil bag with the Balkan coffee, just to smell it. But if I open it, that's it - I'll be a goner.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply