Aramex quarantine charge of $40 WHY??

Just recieved a email saying my parcel has been held and I have to pay a $40 fee to Aramex. I purchased Brand 5 NEW assorted Dogit Hagin Dog toys and I don't know why they would need to be inspected? All up they cost me around $100 and the listing for the postage was FREE.  The seller has only provided a tracking number on 3 of the dog toys so I don't even know which items are being held and if the seller has sent them separate I am wondering if I'll get another Quarantine notice and another fee??. I have nevr had this happen before and wonder if anyone can tell me why and what I can do ? 😞 There really shouldn't be anything wrong with these dog toys so I don't know why they would be in quaratine?.

Message 1 of 59
Latest reply
58 REPLIES 58

Re: Aramex quarantine charge of $40 WHY??

Pandora, have you contacted Aramex, the real company, directly to see if the email was genuine? By phone, to get a real person.

I hope you can get your items without paying anything more than the original shipping, but please contact them to see if they have sent you the fee request. I know you emailed but talking to real people can sometimes work better.

If they did, you will need to discuss it with them, and try to get the fee waived if your items were not individually inspected or treated. Good luck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 51 of 59
Latest reply

Okay, Pandora...

I just got off the phone with Australian Customs. 

They do not charge fees for inspecting shipments under a value of $1000, period... at least not if by air (we didn't discuss if over 1K or if 'by sea' as it wasn't relevant). Regardless of if it's through Aus Post or a door to door carrier, they do not charge fees to inspect. I gave them the tracking number you provided which they tried in their system, and got no match (which only means that either they haven't inspected it, or else the tracking number wasn't recorded on their system if it was).

They told me that AQIS (The Dept of Agriculture) however do charge fees to inspect. Customs said they're not sure if AQIS would be interested in either dog toys or rope, and suggested you call them and ask. They also suggested you ask for/obtain the Customs/AQIS reference number from Aramex which if you can provide to either Customs or Dept of Ag they can then tell you everything that has happened with the package on their end. The number they gave to call AQIS is 1800 020 504.

Make the call.

Message 52 of 59
Latest reply

Btw, imo I think there's every likelihood that the Dept of Ag might be interested in inspecting rope, if on the manifest the term 'rope' was used in the description without including 'nylon/poly' beside it. Many ropes are made using plant materials, such as cotton or hemp for example, so i can easily see the term rope being flagged for further scrutiny by AQIS.

Message 53 of 59
Latest reply

Yes, Pandora needs to ask Aramex for the inspection number...that can get the fee waived in all likelihood. If Pandora can argue that no inspection took place, if they cannot provide that number.

Rope, if written in the description without any further detail, could flag the parcel and be deemed insufficient information.

hope it works out OK.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 54 of 59
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:

Rope, if written in the description without any further detail, could flag the parcel and be deemed insufficient information.

hope it works out OK.

If it does turn out to be legit... ironically, instead of the problem being caused by insufficient description, it may prove to have been caused by too much description. I'm betting 'dog toys' probably would not interest AQIS at all, whereas 'rope dog toys' probably would.

I just took a look at the AQIS site and found this; http://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity/import/plant-products/information-about-importing-all-othe...

Fibre articles

Some plant fibres are so highly processed they do not require an import permit. To help you find out if your fibre is highly processed, refer to the Import Conditions database (ICON) case for Plant fibres-highly refined and processed.

Plant fibres that are not highly processed, but where the plants they are made from are a low quarantine risk - these too, will not need an import permit. However, you should use the ICON to search for each plant material used, to see what the import conditions are.

When entering the term 'rope' into the ICON database, it returns with 44 hits >>  http://apps.daff.gov.au/icon32/asp/ex_casecontent.asp?intNodeId=8963272&intCommodityId=27794&Types=n...

Without looking through all, but just from looking at the second hit, I am left with little doubt that AQIS would want to inspect rope products if their composition was not included in the description on the goods manifest/import declaration...

Commodity:  Banana Fibre Articles

Scientific name:  Musa spp.

Condition  C6920

These conditions apply to products made from Musa spp. leaf and stem such as furniture and rope.

Non-Commercial

1. For small items in personal consignments refer to ICON case ‘Articles containing seed or dried plant material ’.

Commodity: Articles containing seed or dried plant material

Condition  C19148

These conditions apply when unidentified seeds or dried plant matter are imported as an integral part of an article that is not for human or animal consumption, not for growing, and not for other agricultural use the conditions.

This case does not include seed contaminants on items such as (but not exclusively) clothing or shoes, bedding, hides and cultural items.

Non-Commercial

1.        An Import Permit is not required.

2.        Each consignment must be inspected to ensure that it is thoroughly dried, free from live insects, or loose or damaged quarantine risk material.  

3.        Each consignment will require mandatory gamma irradiation treatment (T9651) or return to sender/re-export, at the expense of the importer or consignee, or destruction.  

4.        Alternatively, goods may be sent for identification at the importer/consignee’s expense.

As for AQIS inspection fees... http://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecurity/import/general-info/fees-charges-import/import-clearance

Goods Inspection;

In-office—per officer—¼ hour¼ hour

$40.00

Out-office—per officer—1st ½ hour½ hour

$90.00 

Out-office—per officer—additional ¼ hour¼  hour

$45.00

Officer service for 1 or more working daysday

$900.00

Pandora, I hope it's only a scam... but there's enough evidence to suggest it might just be for real. That said, do not follow any links from that email, & definitely don't give c/card details until you've established it is 100% legit, even then I'd be asking if they had a Paypal option. Get that reference number from Aramex, and call dept of Ag with it. Aramex won't hesitate to give it to you if it's on the up & up as it means they'll get paid.

Good luck.

Message 55 of 59
Latest reply

I forgot to highlight and bold probably THE single most important sentence in the above information from the AQIS site...

@modestbods wrote:

Non-Commercial

1.        An Import Permit is not required.

2.        Each consignment must be inspected to ensure that it is thoroughly dried, free from live insects, or loose or damaged quarantine risk material.  

3.        Each consignment will require mandatory gamma irradiation treatment (T9651) or return to sender/re-export, at the expense of the importer or consignee, or destruction.  

4.        Alternatively, goods may be sent for identification at the importer/consignee’s expense.

Message 56 of 59
Latest reply

hello, Thank you so much for all your help ... I'll give you a update on whats happened shortly.. Still making a few enquirys and things have taken a turn. The seller is not happy with the shipping company DPD either and has sent me cancellation requests through the resolution centre but when I try to respond, I am getting a try again later and no information on case available. 

Message 57 of 59
Latest reply

Seller has fully refunded and said the dog toys are not Organic .. The cancelation for my purchases is still showing up as open in the resolution centre so I don't know how I cancel when the Seller has already refunded me? Anyways,the seller said not to pay DPD and this has never happened before . The carrier they usually use wouldn't charge for this fee. The seller said they may have the toys destroyed because the cost to get them back may not be won't be worth it.

Message 58 of 59
Latest reply

@pandora_z_box_123 wrote:

Seller has fully refunded and said the dog toys are not Organic .. The cancelation for my purchases is still showing up as open in the resolution centre so I don't know how I cancel when the Seller has already refunded me? Anyways,the seller said not to pay DPD and this has never happened before . The carrier they usually use wouldn't charge for this fee. The seller said they may have the toys destroyed because the cost to get them back may not be won't be worth it.

Okay, that's great,  the seller has acted very admirably and is an absolute credit to all eBay sellers.

There may still be a problem for you though. If the fees are legit, then regardless of if the seller has cancelled the sale and refunded you, the liability for those fees remains yours, and yours alone. If they are not paid, Aramex will very probably seek to recover them from you,and if you still don't pay them you can expect them to put it in the hands of a debt recovery agency, which means further fees will be applied for recovery/legal costs, and very probably your credit rating will be adversely affected until such time it is paid.

You need to get that reference number from Aramex & then contact that number for AQIS. If they do provide it and AQIS confirms there is a legit fee, then you need to pay it asap. If they can't provide it, or refuse to provide it, & you have an email from them saying so, or if you make detailed notes if via phone conversation, then you might be able to challenge any legal claim for compensation/recovery they might make, or to possibly appeal against any hit from them to your credit rating. If they don't give the ref number, seek legal advice.

Message 59 of 59
Latest reply