Auction won, seller claims item out of stock

Won an auction for an in-car camera on 22 August, paid via Paypal the next day and received positive feedback from the seller. Yesterday 28 August, I get a message from the seller wanting to refund the money paid, plus an additional amount "for delay". Checked eBay and find that the same seller has the same item listed at a BIN price of $999.00 with 2 sold and 5 available. I wrote back and said that I want the item, not a refund. He writes back with the following message:

We are not mean that we won't sell this item to you.
What you saw on the ebay is still have product in stock, that because we are out of stock yet, so we raise the price to $999.When we get the products we will recover the price.But since we don't know how long will it take,and we can't ensure the exact time when we get it. So we suggest refund.

I thought they had to have the item to sell if they were putting the item to auction.

The item has now been increased to BIN $9,999, still listed for 26 days, and still claiming to have 5 in stock. What is going on here???

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

I don't know the ins and outs, but I've seen this done before, it's got something to do with them losing the sales history of the item I think. So rather than end the listing, they put on a HUGE price that no one would pay. (One item I saw had $4,000 on it, when competitors were selling the same thing for under $150)

In your case, there was more than likely an inventory control issue, and when they went to pack your item realized there were none in stock. It happens. (For example, the computer program doesn't know if an employee has swiped something from the warehouse,, and if a large seller, might only know when they do a stocktake or can't fill an order)

I think it's good that the seller has voluntarily refunded you and given you a bonus for wasting your time, it seems to me he is trying to do the right thing by you and not string you along indefinitely waiting for new stock to arrive.

My advice, be kind to him and either wait until the item's price drops back down indicating he has more in stock, or find another one to buy in the meantime.

Either way, you are not going to get this particular camera at this time.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

I agree that this is probably what has happened.

However, after doing a search on the 'net, I have found the same item available at other websites within the country from which this item is originating. Admittedly, they are a lot more expensive than the price I paid. I feel this seller should honour his side of the contract and obtain one from from another seller in his country of origin. The way I see it, he put the item up for auction and didn't get the price he wanted so is now pleading "out of stock". Once any dispute is settled (refund, whatever), the item miraculously appears back on the seller's site again (I've had this happen to me before).

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

Yes, he should source the item and supply it to you, and if you were to pursue legal avenues this could quite likely be the ruling.

Regardless of what he "should" do, he has made it pretty clear that he is not going to without some "warm encouragement".

It doesn't matter "how you see it" it really only matters what you can prove. Can you prove your allegations?

Don't get me wrong, I'd be a bit miffed too, but that doesn't change anything. He doesn't want to sell it to you and he has no intention of sending it to you.

He has given you a refund plus a bonus, that's more than what PayPal would have directed him to do.

He has been honest, he could have said "it's on the way" and tried to string you out past the 45 days in which you have to raise a claim.

Also, think very carefully before you leave feedback so that you do not end up looking bad. If you leave something like "seller refused to honour sale, his reply may well be,, "item out of stock, refund and bonus given immediately".

You've got 80 characters including spaces and punctuation, use it wisely, it must be factual, but try and interpret any reply he may make to counter it.

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Report the listing.  Report the seller.

As a buyer and a seller, I have no sympathy for sellers that retain out-of-stock listings to preserve their best match ranking - I understand from time to time sellers may mistakenly over-sell items that they do not have, or can not find, that is a different issue all together.

No stock and no stock coming in immediate future to honor a sale  = end listing IMO. 

I understand that it is difficult to retain best match position, but no-one should run listings for items they do not have and are not likely to have for some time - not good for building confidence in our marketplace.

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

Why would you report the listing that's still there?

How can you prove that he has none in stock at that price?

He may well have been able to get more in emergency stock for a higher price so that he doesn't have to end the listing.

I'm not condoning what he has done/is doing to this buyer, but I think it's petty to penalize the seller without proof that he has none in stock.

I have a B&M shop. I ran out of one line due to a couple of reasons, I have now sourced a short term supply at a higher than normal price because it made good business sense to me to have such a popular item available even though I have made it available for sale at a higher price.

I also use the increase price strategy as well when something is running low rather than have it run out and remove it from sale. It is basic economic principles and strategic business practise.

Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

@crikey*mate wrote:

It depends on  the item and the listing - the seller may be claiming no stock, but a good way to tell is to look at the purchase history (if any) of the item as that will show how many have sold previously, and for what price. If the seller seems to have honoured those sales (a quick look at FB can help verify that), it can be assessed fairly easily if it is a matter of no stock or deciding to change the price. 

Considering the seller raised it to $999 then $9999, and that he has admitted to being out of stock, I would say it's a fair bet he is out of stock, and the listing should be ended. It is actually a breach of policy to list an item (or keep a listing active) when you can't supply it - it's even a breach of policy to list a higher quantity available than you can supply. I don't like reporting listings, but this is becoming a more and more common buyer complaint. 

I've found myself in a similar situation - low stock numbers on an item, awaiting new stock to arrive and being tempted to keep the listing active - it sucks, but I have to end the listing, or let the last one sell and relist when the stock does arrive (sometimes it's been the next day, sometimes a couple of weeks later), and I do it not  to abide by policies, as such, but because I never want to have to tell a buyer I can't supply the item they bought. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

@crikey*mate wrote:

It depends on  the item and the listing - the seller may be claiming no stock, but a good way to tell is to look at the purchase history (if any) of the item as that will show how many have sold previously, and for what price. If the seller seems to have honoured those sales (a quick look at FB can help verify that), it can be assessed fairly easily if it is a matter of no stock or deciding to change the price. 

Considering the seller raised it to $999 then $9999, and that he has admitted to being out of stock, yesterday he admitted to being out of stock, he may have sourced some overnight at a high price to tide him over until his regular stock arrives - I'm guessing he doesn't actually make these cameras, so is not limited by the speed in which he can make one or obtain parts to do so,  I would say it's a fair bet he is out of stock I would too, but is a fair bet reason enough to tarnish someone's business reputation? , and the listing should be ended As I said, he may have gotten more stock - the OP managed to find more stock in the same region, so maybe on his way to work this morning he bought a few at a much higher price than his regular supply cost just so he didn't have to end the listing early and adjusted his prices accordingly.. It is actually a breach of policy to list an item (or keep a listing active) when you can't supply it we don't know that he can't supply these items, all we know is that he couldn't/wouldn't supply the item for a listing that has already ended  - heck maybe he didn't even realize it had been relisted if he relists in bulk and may not have even been aware that listing was active (I've done that ashamed.gif- it's even a breach of policy to list a higher quantity available than you can supply. According to the OP, there are plenty available, we have no idea how many he can supply at the current listed price, all that we know is that he won't supply the item at the previous listed price.  I don't like reporting listings, but this is becoming a more and more common buyer complaint. Quite possibly because there are now more large volume sellers who have entered the market. I've done many stocktakes in my time, and it is rare that the expected inventory list matches the actual inventory list. Whether it be through poor inventory management, theft, system failure, lack of staff training or just an error someone in the process.

I've found myself in a similar situation - low stock numbers on an item, awaiting new stock to arrive and being tempted to keep the listing active - it sucks, but I have to end the listing, or let the last one sell and relist when the stock does arrive (sometimes it's been the next day, sometimes a couple of weeks later), and I do it not  to abide by policies, as such, but because I never want to have to tell a buyer I can't supply the item they bought. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Digi, I think the seller should honour the sale, please don't think I condone what he has done.  It does appear that his business practises are somewhat creative, but on the whole, he doesn't appear to be one of the true bad guys. He fessed up, refunded immediately(ish) - i'e once he was aware of the problem or had a solution AND gave a bonus.

To me it makes good business sense to supply the item if possible in order to benefit from return business. Maybe he couldn't source the item cheaply enough to honour that transaction and so decided to minimize his losses and lose the customer.

I just think that reporting his current listings when we don't know if he does have new stock is just spiteful. The buyer has their money back, plus a bonus and they can still reflect their transaction experience via feedback. Short of going to court, when does the punishment end?

Out of curiosity, if a report was made, would eBay investigate (if so, how?) or would they just remove the listing based on heresay?

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

Come on crikey do you really think that reporting a listing that may be, or is, in breach of ebay policy is spiteful ?? 

LMAO

It is not heresay - the seller has messaged the buyer to say they have no more stock - ebay have access to this information that has been provided by the seller to the buyer.

This sellers actions = unhappy buyers

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

crikey, with all due respect, I don't think the fact the seller did ok, or could have done worse, is reason enough to let an issue go - they could have done better, too, I know quite a few sellers who will purchase from a competitor and have the item sent to their buyer to avoid them being disappointed. There is a reason eBay don't gives sellers a facility to mark items as out of stock, and every time this happens (intentionally or not), it's another "bad thing" about eBay. 

The seller has said that they will readjust the price when they get new stock, so that - along with all the other evidence - is a pretty good indicator that the seller does not have the item to supply at any price right now, and they may have made a mistake at first, but assuming they only realised after this buyer purchased, they chose to keep the listing active by putting an unrealistic price on it.

Don't get me wrong, I have specifically omitted any advice re: reporting the listing, but I dislike the practice of keeping out-of-stock listings active to keep BM rankings, and the only reason it keeps happening (intentionally) is because there are no consequences that make sellers stop it. 

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply