Auction won then sale cancelled and item relisted by Seller

bobl888
Community Member

I today, 19 June, bought auction item off eBay Seller in Germany for Euros146.99 + Postage (13 bidders 20 bids).

There was NO auction reserve price on listing.

I paid for item via PayPal.

Payment was refunded with Seller's comment:

"I have the right, if the amount is not reallistisch not to sell the product. The Asus board is still in the list price of 250 € less than 200 € and I do not sell the Main board, so was the amount refunded Duly."

Can the Seller do that? Is this not breaching eBay Policies? Is the Seller not legally committed to sell it to me at the contracted auction price?? Surely otherwise, it make an auction/eBay a mockery if a Seller can refuse to complete an auction because he is not satisfied with the price he gts.....

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

One would say the seller is morally obluged but not legally bound, and how are you going to force a sale when he is in Germany anyway. Yes, it's breaching ebay policy but that isn't "law". The item is his, and while most sales go through without any issue there are a few dipsticks who make up their own rules, and this sounds like one of them 🙂

All you can do is leave negative feedback along the lines of:

Won auction and paid, seller relisted item - wanted more money. Poor form.

or something similar, factual, unemotive.

and find something else. Nothing on ebay is unique so just keep looking.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Why are you posting the same question again?  You have been given the same answer already in your other thread.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

bobl888
Community Member

Yes - many thanks for your reply - you're right!

Having got up to bid at 2.30am and for this to happen (my first time), guess I was clutching at straws to see if there was any other avenue that others had pursued successfully....

I'll smile and move on....

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

bobl888
Community Member

SORRY! - my first time in the Answer Centre/Discussion Boards!

You will see that I (,now I know, erroneously,) posted both (4.42am & 4.48am) in both areas BEFORE any "replies" were received (7.20am).

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

At least you can leave feedback. Ebay allows sellers to cancel at any time but bidders are bound by contract. If the seller cancels just before close - too bad you don't get to leave feedback. This happened to me - the seller had several auctions going at the same time for the same item and was culling non-performing auctions at the last minute - and there is no way to warn bidders.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

A bidder can cancel a bid actually, so long as an auction has more than12 hours to run and they have a reason which they state in the drop down menu when doing so. What is this buyer against seller thing with you fabulous ? As stated on the other thread we are all people here, and you should not tar all sellers (or buyers) with the same beush just because you may have had a bad experience in the past?

don't take life too seriously.......it's not permanent
Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

I have had about 11 bids on 200watt 24v solar panels cancelled in the last week! every time a seller gets away with this and then re-lists the item is yet another reason ebay is getting to be a waste of my time as a buyer! Wake Up Ebay! there are other sites that are easier to use and many Ebay sellers I have dealt with have included a business card with their own website details! So you are not the be all and end all of online purchasing! Ebay needs cleaning up Now or it will become even more of a joke! With private auctions, ending auctions prematurely and no way to know who is bidding "for privacy reasons" Its a scammers paradise! I found one seller of wind turbines with more than 10 separate Ebay stores so they could just ignore negative feedback and close a store and when feedback gets too bad! They used the same cut and pasted apology to deal with negative feedback complete with spelling mistakes!

Ebay is becoming more like a bricks and mortar store, you go there to find what is available then do a picture search on google to find a cheaper better way of buying it!

sorry for the rant but for many years I have followed the Ebay rules only to have ebay make it easier and easier for sellers not too!

Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

eBay is just an advertising medium!!!  What exactly do you expect them to do?  Nobody can force seller to go through with the transaction.  It is up to buyers to check FB and decide if they want to deal with particular seller.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

eBay suggests that you should report the seller for the policy violation of not honouring your transaction. Here's the link: http://ocsnext.ebay.com.au/ocs/cusr?query=1482&ref=1

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply