Australia post

So lucky me. I got to spend the day being transfered back and forth talking to aus post.

I have an order with a tracking number comming up as delivered but it wasn't and the suburb is not mine and not a suburb that has mail from my area go to.

I asked where it was delievered is it not on the system no it's not.

turns out unless you get a delivery signed for there is no way to track if something goes wrong.

So paying for tracking means nothing you might as well send it normal post.

When life gives you lemons.
Squeeze them into people's eyes
Message 1 of 30
Latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Re: Australia post

@crikey*mate wrote:

what I don't understand about this whole postage thing is why the need for all the different levels.

The standard postage apparently says that it will deliver your parcel from point A to Point B within a reasonable time frame. So why the need for insurance and SOD etc?

When I pay for standard postage, the contract between myself and Aus Post is that, so if they fail to provide the service for which they are contractually bound then they are in breach of contract.

Simply by offering the higher levels of cover aren't they sayng that they might not provide the service which you pay them to do? Isn't that an admission that they may breach their contract?

Add to that the fact (unless I have misunderstood the T&Cs) extra cover only insures against damage AP do themselves, if the packing was deemed sufficient to withstand their handling procedures (and they will admit to being the cause of damage).

I wanna know why THAT kind of limited cover costs extra.

Message 21 of 30
Latest reply

so that insurance doesn't even cover if they lose the item, is that right?

so what's the point of SOD?

we can't even insure against their carelessness

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 22 of 30
Latest reply

SOD, as offered by AP, is meant to be if you want confirmation of delivery, and now also means that the parcel shouldn't be safe dropped - as the sender, you used to be able to select that as a delivery instruction without paying for SOD, but now that's the only way you have a hope of ensuring a parcel isn't safe-dropped. 

Extra cover is meant to be for loss or damage, but only if AP can determine the loss or damage happened under certain circumstances. Which AFAIK means anything scanned as delivered is "out of their hands", because if it's scanned as delivered, it's deemed delivered and what may have happened to the parcel after it was delivered isn't their fault (which has the potential to make the erroneous tracking / scan events even worse than they might first appear).

Edit: I should add that that's not a statement that's universally applicable, it depends on where the scan events took place, whether it matches with adressee details etc.

Message 23 of 30
Latest reply

It is an admission, not just of poor service, but of not caring - if you do not pay the most they charge, do not expect good service.

I shop on eBay U.S. and now always buy tracking and insurance. It ensures a better receipt rate; I had a few go missing before.

This costs a small fortune. I know I have Paypal protection, but I would rather get my stuff than not!

Having so many types of postage would no doubt be called "progress". If they did their job efficiently, they would not need to separate the post this way and everything would be treated equally and with care.

When enquiring about a missing parcel, I was told "we don't have time to put everything in the book. It would be all we did all day".

So they like to blame a lack of staff, rather than address problems with non-delivery, etc., which is down to the employed staff.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 24 of 30
Latest reply

I don't think that we should have to pay to make sure they do their job.

however your explanation is making me understand it more.

I concede that it is not their fault if they do deliver the parcel to Point B and then someone steals it out of the letter box before I collect it - however, they should have to prove that they did actually deliver it.

I had a parcel scanned as delivered a few weeks back - it was delivered to an entirely different state! yet they were adamant they had delivered it.

Message 25 of 30
Latest reply

@amber-eyed-girl wrote:
It is an admission, not just of poor service, but of not caring - if you do not pay the most they charge, do not expect good service.

I shop on eBay U.S. and now always buy tracking and insurance. It ensures a better receipt rate; I had a few go missing before.

This costs a small fortune. I know I have Paypal protection, but I would rather get my stuff than not!

Having so many types of postage would no doubt be called "progress". If they did their job efficiently, they would not need to separate the post this way and everything would be treated equally and with care.

When enquiring about a missing parcel, I was told "we don't have time to put everything in the book. It would be all we did all day".

So they like to blame a lack of staff, rather than address problems with non-delivery, etc., which is down to the employed staff.

LOLOLOL

they don't have time to do their job.

I wonder how you or I would go using that excuse and I wonder how that stand up in breach of contract.

"I'm sorry your honour, no I didn't do the job that I was contracted to do because I didn't have time.

These days when dealing with Aus Post, you either need to be really religious or a hard core gambler.

Standard delivery - for the super believer or hard core gambler

SOD - for the fence sitter or the person who enjoys the occasional flutter on the ponies.

SOD and Insurance - for the athiest or life time member of gamblers anonymous.

Message 26 of 30
Latest reply

There's a big difference between stealing an item out of a letterbox and simply picking it up off the ground because the postie was too bloody lazy or stupid to card or safe-drop it, but then why would he care... it's not his item or money at risk, is it?

And as far as AP is concerned, it's been delivered so chances are it'll end up as a total loss to me. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Message 27 of 30
Latest reply

I feel your pain.

Would you feel comfortable going to your local post office and asking for any parcels to be left in a safe place if they do not fit the letterbox? Something diplomatically phrased.

Or try to catch the postie and ask?

Nicely though, even if you are annoyed. I had to train my postie ๐Ÿ™‚

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 28 of 30
Latest reply

LOL at train the postie.

"Sit Booboo, sit"

Message 29 of 30
Latest reply

Australia Post still have to honor the sender delivery instructions such as a great big red DO NOT SAFE DROP sticker - AP supply these stickers for their customers use.

Message 30 of 30
Latest reply