Buyers should note: No more FOS, it is now AFCA (since 1st Nov 2018)

I know this is very similar to a thread I just started on the Selling board, but thought it appropriate to start this thread on the Buying board.

The FOS is no more. 

The Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA) opened on November 1 and has average 310 complaints per business day so far.

The Federal Government first announced the new dispute resolution body in September last year, as it attempted to head off a royal commission into the banks and financial services sector.

AFCA has replaced three separate bodies — Financial Ombudsman Service, the Credit and Investments Ombudsman and the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-12-05/new-financial-complaints-authority-more-than-6500-complaints/...

Members should note this when advising buyers or sellers who are having problems with eBay and/or PayPal.

If a google search is made for “Financial Ombudsman” you will still get the “fos.org.au” website as a result, but that web address is now showing a link to the new AFCA website.

So, even if we advise buyers or sellers to contact the FOS they will most likely find AFCA, but in the interests of providing up to date information we should use AFCA instead of FOS

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I remember mentioning the change from FOS in a reply on the Answer Board not long ago... and yes, it should have occurred to me that a thread here to gather the altered information in one place would be a good idea.

I found the post I'd made for reference: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying-on-eBay/I-didn-t-get-my-item-for-over-1-year/qaq-p/2203447/c...

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I saw the article but have had no need to use the information in the last few days.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

I've had to use it hahaha

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

I remember mentioning the change from FOS in a reply on the Answer Board not long ago... and yes, it should have occurred to me that a thread here to gather the altered information in one place would be a good idea.

I found the post I'd made for reference: https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying-on-eBay/I-didn-t-get-my-item-for-over-1-year/qaq-p/2203447/c...

Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

You posted that on 30/11 Countess.....that is about the time I saw it in the online news.

It will be interesting to see how it works out with response times.  With 3 services rolled into one it is to be hoped they have adequate staff.

Message 5 of 5
Latest reply