Buyers - when asked to return something to China....

I've just come back from my local PO and the staff told me that a lady had gone in yesterday to return something to China and she was very upset as it had cost her $70! They said that she told them she had bought from Ebay and it was sent domestically (apparently), but it was not as described and she was asked to return it to China.

The lady in question should not have communicated back and forth with the seller - she simply should have opened an INAD dispute and there's virtually every chance she would just have received a refund as an overseas seller cannot issue a return postage label.

There is no way that this lady will be able to recoup her postage costs and in all likelihood has been given dodgy address details as well.

Please buyers, use the tools that Ebay gives you and save yourselves the financial heartache.

Look to see where sellers are REGISTERED, not where the item is located.

Also, please try and support Australian sellers instead of overseas ones.

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Yes, I completely agree.

Years ago when I was relatively new to eBay I talked to sellers who always said they would give me a partial refund because it would be too expensive for me to send the item back. Some even blackmailed me, saying they would give me a partial refund AFTER I give them positive fb. I didn't accept that of course (and it is against eBay rules anyway). Now I am more cautious and have had no problems for a long time (easy - I don't buy from China any more).

Has anybody ever used PP free returns by the way? I registered a long time ago, but never had to send anything back, not even here.

https://www.paypal.com/au/webapps/mpp/returns

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

Iโ€™ve not had to return anything on eBay. Of course Iโ€™ve got PayPalโ€™s free returns option activated, just in case.

The best buyer protection is to be vigilant before buying. I agree โ€“ we buyers should check country in which seller is registered rather than country in which the item is located (as stated by the seller, not independently verified).

That poor woman in the OP!

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

I did say to the PO staff that the next time someone wants to send something back to China like that, they should tell the customer to go back to Ebay and open a dispute. They are very friendly there and look after their customers.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply