Buying a mobility item from overseas

Here's the story.  I need to buy a walker/pick up frame of a particular style and size not currently available in Australia.  (I was told the original supplier went out of business).  I have searched suppliers in Oz (online, emails, phone calls) with no luck.  In fact I've lost count of how many I've contacted.  One mobility company in Oz had been trying for months to track one down, not just for me but for other customers. but I got the call - they have given up and will refund my money.

The issue with companies buying overseas equipment is that it must pass the Aust Standards approval process.  Without that they can't sell them.  Fair enough...however....  I called the Oz branch of the company that makes one that fits all my criteria, but it has not yet been approved for sale here and according to the company there is a backlog of equipment requiring approval and the process can take 18 months or longer.  I don't know if the item I want is in the approval backlog or not, but it's possible.

So...I've seen the walker for sale on eBay from many US mobility suppliers.  All use the GSP which sticks in my craw, but the situation is getting desperate.  Has anyone successfully bought one from overseas?  I hesitate to test it on two grounds.  Is it legal to source one from overseas for private use (ie not to sell)?  I have no wish to get into trouble with customs or whatever govt department this comes under.  Secondly, even if it is OK, is it something Pitney Bowes are likely to refuse to honour due to their tendency to reject items on a whim?

I don't know what to do.  I am frustrated and angry at how this has been dragging on with months and months of trying with no good outcome.

Message 1 of 78
Latest reply
77 REPLIES 77

Would this be any good? walking frame

If so I could ask them what the size and weight is when folded and could post it on to you if it would not be too expensive, As I am disabled I can get it VAT free so the cost would only be £28 (Au$42approx). There are several regular posters who will confirm that I am on the level and have done this many times while I am in the UK. If it was small enough I could possibly bring it with me when I return to Aus but as that is not until November it would probably be too late for you.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 21 of 78
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

Would this be any good? walking frame

If so I could ask them what the size and weight is when folded and could post it on to you if it would not be too expensive, As I am disabled I can get it VAT free so the cost would only be £28 (Au$42approx). There are several regular posters who will confirm that I am on the level and have done this many times while I am in the UK. If it was small enough I could possibly bring it with me when I return to Aus but as that is not until November it would probably be too late for you.

Gosh, you're very kind, but this model is not quite the right one.  It looks like the right manufacturer and design but it's not wide enough and the weight max is wrong.  It is also not advertised as a bariatric or heavy duty model which the one I'm looking at is.

I've been looking at the US specs for so long it's giving me a headache dealing in feet and inches again, but they never mention metric specs so basically the walker I need is 20.5" across (inside frame) and this one is 17".  There's no shortage of 17" wide walkers in Oz - it's the next width up that's the problem....a big problem.

Thanks for the offer.  You are night Nov is likely to be too late.  I have the loan of a walker from the hospital, but it is the only one they had in this size and any day now I may have to return it, which worries me very much, because they can't buy any replacements in Oz the same as I can't.

Message 22 of 78
Latest reply

@lyndal1838 wrote:

The prices of the walker are quite reasonable but the shipping prices are astronomical for the most part.

I looked at several of the agents sites that do ship overseas and their prices were nearly as bad as the GSP.  I would suggest that you have a job ahead of you going through a lot of them to find an acceptable price.

I know you said that Drive Medical in Australia do not ave that model but have you thought to ask if they can get it for you.  It may be cheaper in the longrun as they obviously import in bulk.

Another suggestion....it is possible to rent medical appliances such as walkers.  Could you perhaps try a walker that is available in Australia with the view to eventually buying it.  While not cheap it may be a more economical option in the long run.

What shipping prices did you look at - the ones I saw for the walker were FAR worse than the GSP.  Scary in fact.

Without Aust Standards approval the walker can't be sold by the company in Australia.  They may have none in Oz or a couple packed away, but until is the model is approved here they can't sell them to the public.

It is certainly possible to rent walkers.  The problem is, I have not found one to rent or buy that is the correct size.  The smaller size - no problem.  The extra wide version - a little harder to find perhaps but not impossible.  The size I need - not available.  Buying or renting the widest size is not an option as it is too wide for some of the doorways and passage.

Message 23 of 78
Latest reply

*sigh* You do have a problem, don't you.Smiley Sad

If you can find what you are looking for in the UK I can guarantee Phorum Junkie will do her best for you.

By the way Drive Medical is in the UK too...check them out.

Apart from that I think you can only look for the best overall price from whatever source you can find.

If you are looking on ebay just be careful of simplybestprices (or something like that)  They are listing at high prices with free postage.  They have a bad habit of taking your money, sitting on it for weeks and then refunding because they cannot supply.

I have left a message for my OH's nephew, a senior pilot with UPS to see what sort of mates rates he could get for you for shipping from the USA but he is currently away with his Canadian cousins in the wilds of nowhere so I have no idea when he will get the message.

Message 24 of 78
Latest reply

I checked out the Drive site here in the UK and it kept throwing me back to the US sitre when I searched for sellers.

Keep looking in the UK as you might find one that I could help you with.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 25 of 78
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

I checked out the Drive site here in the UK and it kept throwing me back to the US sitre when I searched for sellers.

Keep looking in the UK as you might find one that I could help you with.

I've started looking on UK sites and so far I'm surprised at how many companies don't provide enough details to know which walker size they are selling.  It is also made difficult when they use their own stock number instead of the manufacturer's.  Looking at the photos is not enough.  This is what happened with the Oz company I originally placed an order with.  They took delivery of frames (like the one from the hospital) sent from China (most are made in China) with the right pic on the boxes....and the wrong model inside.  When they tried again the same thing happened.  The different is only a few inches but it's critical.

I've now put all the eBay sellers (all use the GSP) of the walker on my watch list and have begun messaging them asking if they have ever sold one to anyone in Australia.  So far I've had two replies.  One said no and would look into it (but they had a lot of neutral and negative ratings so they'd be on my 'last resort' list) and another has said they haven't shipped them to Australia but have to many other overseas countries with no issues.  I found another eBay listing this morning to send the question to so I'll see what happens.

Message 26 of 78
Latest reply

What state are you in? If you're in NSW contact Enable, through the NSW Health website. They carry all sorts of disability aids. You usually need a prescription from a physio or doctor. Not sure what disability aids cost but Mr Tippy pays $100/yr for around $2,000 worth of consumables.

Message 27 of 78
Latest reply

I'm in Vic, but I looked at the link anyway.  I only found the rollator type walkers.

I've also had an email from another US eBay seller.  Apparently they don't ship the walker to Australia, other countries yes, but not Oz.  Mind you the GSP says otherwise. 

And yet another seller says in their listing they only ship within USA.  I wonder if it worth the bother of telling them they have been opted into the GSP?  Probably not. Smiley Frustrated

The quest continues......

Message 28 of 78
Latest reply

If they're using the GSP, they only ship to USA. Once it gets to Erlanger KY it is delivered as far as the seller and eBay are concerned.

Message 29 of 78
Latest reply

@davewil1964 wrote:

If they're using the GSP, they only ship to USA. Once it gets to Erlanger KY it is delivered as far as the seller and eBay are concerned.

In this case I think they mean no shipping overseas.  I took a punt and entered their eBay name in Google and they have an online shop in that name and I'd say the frame is a no go to outside USA there too.  There are many big sellers I notice that copy and paste their adverts from their online stores onto eBay....often leaving details on eBay that seem to contradict other info on their listings. 

I had the same problem when trying to buy a particular pet carry container.  I thought I'd found exactly what I wanted but when I tried to clarify shipping all I got were a lot of contradictory messages.  It was frustrating and in the end I realised I was dealing with idiots who had never really looked at what info they'd put on eBay.  Arrgghh.

Message 30 of 78
Latest reply