Can a seller request feedback through private message, not via ebay, is this reportable?

I have this morning received a message in my private email asking for feedback for transaction dated 04.12.2017. I am not happy that my email address has been used in this way. Feedback as I understand is not compulsory. Sometimes no feedback is good feedback. Is there any action ebay will take if I report this seller. Thank you.

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Can a seller request feedback through private message, not via ebay, is this reportable?

No ebay would not do anything about this.

Many sellers that have asked for feedback get red dot with         Here is the feedback you pestered for!!!!!!!!

They would have got your email address via your paypal payment.

You can respond with Feedback is VOLUNTARY not mandatory and you might not like what you get.

Then block their email address so they can not contact you again.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

No ebay would not do anything about this.

Many sellers that have asked for feedback get red dot with         Here is the feedback you pestered for!!!!!!!!

They would have got your email address via your paypal payment.

You can respond with Feedback is VOLUNTARY not mandatory and you might not like what you get.

Then block their email address so they can not contact you again.

Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

Thank you *sparklz* - I have already done what you said. 

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

mildred, 

you are right, f/back is not compulsory. But  to report the seller????????????????????????

Seriously? For what - just for asking for a f/back?

On your Email addy?

Is that against the law now?

They had every right to use your email adress to get in touch with you, so does anyone else who has ever dealt with you 

This person obviously didn't know that " I am not happy that my email is used this way"

What way does any email gets used?

They are there to get in touch with people.

And another thing - how hard is it to leave a f/back for someone when you see that it obviously means a lot to them,  a small enough and easy enough gesture to make somone's day!

If the seller did something wrong at the time - you had more enough time to do something about it  by now, and if everything is just fine, or even not just fine - it was still your decision to keep the item - seller didn't have a say in that part!

Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

Alternatively, you could just try to be a half-way decent eBayer, and actually leave feedback as soon as the transaction is completed...

Message 5 of 20
Latest reply

My sellers are split about 50/50 with some leaving feedback when the item is paid for and others when I have left feedback to confirm all's ok. There are others of course that leave feedback in bulk after a certain period of time.

Either way it doesn't worry me - after all feedback is simply numbers on a computer screen anyway.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

I can't understand why they sent the request via private email. Why not just use ebay messaging system?

I find some sellers put a little note in with the purchase, asking nicely for feedback if happy.

Others add a busienss card with their website etc

I'd probably prefer those methods of contact than to get a private email.

Since it has upset you, I'd probably not give feedback in this case as you may reinforce the idea in the seller's mind that private emails work well.

Normally though I would advise giving feedback-it really matters to some sellers, especially when they are starting out. It only takes a few seconds and a few words about how the transaction went can be helpful to other buyers.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

Since it has upset you, I'd probably not give feedback in this case as you may reinforce the idea in the seller's mind that private emails work well.

Already left a neutral by the looks of it springy.......................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

Geez, the seller has a red shooting start (over 100,000 feedback) and they're asking for feedback? I can understand from a small or new seller, but a high volume one like that? You'd think they'd have better things to do!

Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

*tippy*, Seller's reason for asking for f/back is not relevant here in the slightest.

That would be another subject  entirely.

What is sad to see it the OP leaving a bad f/back for that seller most likely before she came to the boards to ask  about it!

You could equally argue that she surely would have had better things to do - in fact, anything but that!

It sure doesn't look good on her profile to those who bother to check.

It screams extreme pettines, that would make a pottential buyer recoil with  "ugh.... I am not going to deal with this"

I keep getting requests for f/back from many people I have dealt with, always on my email addy, like hotels I have stayed in, srores I have shopped at, airlines - so it's not like OP has never seen before as I'm sure we all get them! 

As for Ebay, we all get their requests for feedback quite regularly also.

And just think how big they are, and how busy - but still find it necessary to write to people asking for their opinions! Now, you'd think they would definitely have better things to do!

Finally, I am very surprised  to see you'd support such behaviour, as I quite like everything I have read of your posts, they are are usually spot on with great advice!

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply