Can a seller withdraw an item from auction prior to scheduled finish time?

I was hoping to bid for an item in the UK scheduled to end tomorrow evening Australian time, and note tonight that the seller has withdrawn it as "no longer available".  The seller is now 'unavailable' so am unable to query for some time.  Is this withdrawing of an item - and presumably selling to someone else outside the auction process - within the rules, please?  Not happy, Jan.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@jamjbo9fimhf3nl wrote:

I was hoping to bid for an item in the UK scheduled to end tomorrow evening Australian time, and note tonight that the seller has withdrawn it as "no longer available".  The seller is now 'unavailable' so am unable to query for some time.  Is this withdrawing of an item - and presumably selling to someone else outside the auction process - within the rules, please?  Not happy, Jan.

Maybe they have become unavailable because the entire country is in lockdown. Or they're dead.

You might not have noticed, but there is currently a pandemic raging across the world, and a lot of countries, including the UK, have far stricter precautions in place than we do. Yet.

It is, however, within the rules. Until the item is sold and paid for it is the property of the vendor, to do with as they wish. Which includes withdrawing it from sale.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Yes, especially if there are no bids.

If there are bids a seller will sometimes end an auction to the current highest bidder and that may have happened in this case.

It could also be the seller ended the auction because the item was sold elsewhere and that is generally not good form to cancel bids.

But not an enforceable offence.

As disappointing as it may be, you need to find another item.

image host
Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

@jamjbo9fimhf3nl wrote:

Maybe they have become unavailable because the entire country is in lockdown. Or they're dead.

You might not have noticed, but there is currently a pandemic raging across the world, and a lot of countries, including the UK, have far stricter precautions in place than we do. Yet.

It is, however, within the rules. Until the item is sold and paid for it is the property of the vendor, to do with as they wish. Which includes withdrawing it from sale.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

No doubt the second the resident seller hater of the forum sees your question, they will tell you that 100 % the ONLY possible reason is the seller doing the dodgey

No point in me mentioning a very likely reason this has happened now as you have clearly made up your mind and only want to hear from people who will agree with you

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

the COVID-19 response in the UK includes staying home/indoors except for limited circumstances. 

I haven't read anywhere that going out to ship eBay items falls into the category of essential activity.

To be honest blunt, I think your attitude comes across as one of selfishness.  I could be wrong, and I don't like to make character assessments on limited information, but these are extraordinary circumstances and I have made this exception.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-24/coronavirus-uk-shutdown-for-three-weeks-boris-johnson-anno...

From Monday night local time, Britons will only be allowed to leave their homes once a day for exercise, to shop for essential items like food, for any medical needs or to help a vulnerable person.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

the COVID-19 response in the UK includes staying home/indoors except for limited circumstances. 

I haven't read anywhere that going out to ship eBay items falls into the category of essential activity.

To be honest blunt, I think your attitude comes across as one of selfishness.  I could be wrong, and I don't like to make character assessments on limited information, but these are extraordinary circumstances and I have made this exception.

https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-24/coronavirus-uk-shutdown-for-three-weeks-boris-johnson-anno...

From Monday night local time, Britons will only be allowed to leave their homes once a day for exercise, to shop for essential items like food, for any medical needs or to help a vulnerable person.

If they do that to us here, I'll slip in a trip to the post office 😎 ssh

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Yeah, but the seller should have 'seen that coming' and removed all their items from eBay before now

Or some similar attitude

Because it is ALWAYS the seller's fault, even when trying to do the right thing and obey 'new rules'
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@sandypebbles wrote:
Yeah, but the seller should have 'seen that coming' and removed all their items from eBay before now

Or some similar attitude

Because it is ALWAYS the seller's fault, even when trying to do the right thing and obey 'new rules'

Oh yes of course it's always the seller's fault. I might start a new whine topic lol on entitled buyers. Just had one who won an auction, knew my only payment method was paypal, but waits until a day after the auction ends to tell me she doesn't have paypal? Ugh "Can my husband Moses pay?" Well nuff said there. Why don't they clear a payment method with the seller BEFORE bidding. Relisting makes me look dodgy to other buyers. I also get some who buy pick up items from the Eastern States, when I make it very clear in the description that it's pick up only. They do it hoping you'll agree to post. You can bet those same buyers complain about sellers

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

Please, for the love of God, will someone PLEASE put me into lock down for a month? I want to sit there eating cheese all day and watching Netflix. I don't have Netflix, but apparently that is the done thing when on house arrest. 

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@jamjbo9fimhf3nl wrote:

It looks to me that the seller has realised that when their strict new rules kicked in that he would not be able to post the item so has taken the only avenue open to him and ended the listing.

Do you have any credible evidence that the seller has sold to someone else.....presumption is not credible evidence.

The seller has limited reasons in the ebay system for withdrawing items for sale....."no longer available" covers many reasons, not just that he has sold elsewhere.
Message 10 of 10
Latest reply