Can seller change postage after final bid?

Hi, I have a question about postage, I bid on an item and won it and the postage was $13.00.

But later when I get the invoice, the postage is $17.40;  so I thought I must have made a mistake, so I checked the item again, it had calculated postage and it says $13.

I don't know what to do really, I have to pay, I don't want to be a non payer, but I don't want to pay any more than the original listing, even if it is only $4.

Why isn't the seller bound by the original listing?

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

no, the email says the cheaper postage, but when I click on it to pay now, it changes it to the dearer one.

Message 21 of 34
Latest reply

That's because the seller has put the full amount he wants in the invoice and only he can change it.

TCT
Message 22 of 34
Latest reply

In my case, yes, I know I could have refused to pay, but it was from the UK, still during the Olympics, and another item had not arrived during the Olympics. The seller said that that Royal Mail covers items only up to 46 pounds, and my item had reached 51. 46 was actually the starting bid, so I guess he should have known from the very beginning that it was likely it would go over that sum? I have been thinking about that, and I know I probably should have refused to pay for insurance, but I was so worried it would not arrive because of the Olymipcs that I just said yes, although I know I could have opened a dispute if it had not arrived. I won't do it again though...

Message 23 of 34
Latest reply

no, the email says the cheaper postage, but when I click on it to pay now, it changes it to the dearer one.

May I suggest sending the seller a link to this thread so they can gain some fast 'education' ?? ]:)

Message 24 of 34
Latest reply

dont know if this will work, but try this:

Go to your PURCHASE HISTORY>

click PAY NOW next to the item you won>

hopefully, it will have the original Postage.

If that doesnt work, reply to his email saying to send you a revised invoice with the original postage as you will NOT be paying for hidden costs. Only pay with paypal and dont use the PAY ANYONE option in this case.

I think i can see a red dot coming for that seller ;\

********* *********** *********** ************ ************ *********** ***********
Be Kind To Nurses....
They Stop The Doctors From Killing You.
Message 25 of 34
Latest reply

What a shame it doesn't say pickup allowed-I live at sort of northern end of GC & my sister lives around middle of GC :^O:^O

*waves to Jane*

Grevilleas-you COULD use Send Money option in Paypal,choose Goods or Services & put details in there.Just make sure you fund the payment with a credit card for extra protection.

I'd still like to see seller here though as can't comprehend why they've not been negged before if they've tried this stunt before.

Message 26 of 34
Latest reply

rjm6572
Community Member

is that the seller who is a TRS, they should know better

Message 27 of 34
Latest reply

I know it is only $4 , but it isnt right what they are doing, if they are allowed to get away with this who is to say that they wouldnt or couldnt have said it will be an extra $20 ?

but like you said you really wanted this item, so for the sake of the extra $4 i would pay it, get my goods and then leave a factual feedback stating that seller requested more money than the end price after the auction had finished.

that way it will warn others that might be looking at his goods and also i am sure that it might teach the seller a lesson at the same time.

Message 28 of 34
Latest reply

And the seller will be rewarded financially........What a good idea - NOT.

TCT
Message 29 of 34
Latest reply

Email the seller ASAP and tell the seller you want to cancel the transaction due to the fact they have changed the shipping rate unless they are willing to leave the orginal price as per winning the auction. If they wont then the seller will issue you with a cancellation. The seller is not allowed to change the postage cost after you have won the item. I never advise to leave Negative Feedback but in this case i would simply because they are ripping you off. Dont forget to report it to eBay. Plain and Simple. Good Luck

Message 30 of 34
Latest reply