Cancel Purchase Notice

Recently won an auction and minutes after receiving payment invoice, I received a Cancel Transaction notice which states it was initiated by the seller, although the message was sent by eBay. This never happened before to me. When I asked the seller, he claimed to have no idea about it and told me there was no problem, go ahead and pay.
Apparently as a buyer I have few rights here. But I want to know if the seller is lying or not while deciding to part with my money, nearly $300 Is it possible the cancel transaction notice was an error made by ebay's system? The seller has a 99.1% positive rating from 1441 ratings. Any help appreciated.
Message 1 of 8
Latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Cancel Purchase Notice

I can't see any purchase by you for that amount-did the email say anything about listing possibly being fraudulant?

Is the item a high scam prone item?

Message 2 of 8
Latest reply

Cancel Purchase Notice

Please dont tell us it was a mobile phone....

Message 3 of 8
Latest reply

Cancel Purchase Notice

Wasn't a phone, it was a sausage stuffer for $270 plus $38 postage. The seller has the same item as buy it now for $399. Here...

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=Reber+5kg+&_sacat=0

One thing I noticed was that in my personal email inbox, I received both notices, firstly the invoice, then the cancel transaction notice. But in my actual eBay account inbox, I did not receive the invoice, only the cancel transaction notice. Maybe this is a clue?

I have contacted eBay but apparently they do not provide direct answers, and stack most of the deck in favor of sellers. Quite surprising..

What to do?
Message 4 of 8
Latest reply

Cancel Purchase Notice

Also no there was no mention about listing possibly being fraudulent. I haven't had a huge amount of trading on eBay, but all I know is that I have a bad instinct about this one, and would tend to avoid it if given a choice. They do say generally, when something seems too good to be true (as in cheap), it usually isn't, I feel this may fall into that category. The item pictured, is supposed to be a branded item made in Italy with the brand name written up the side in black letters. However for some reason, it does not show this. Again, questioned seller who claimed the item is 100% genuine. But then again what else would he say?
Message 5 of 8
Latest reply

Cancel Purchase Notice

In my opinion, if in doubt, DON'T.

Respond to the cancellation notice you received and accept the cancellation. At least you have that option. That amount of money is too much to waste, especially if you believe the item may be a fake.

Let us know how you go

Message 6 of 8
Latest reply

Cancel Purchase Notice

Sounds like the seller wanted more for it. Simple.

The cancellation notice is so they can get their selling fees back. I would reject it.

Message 7 of 8
Latest reply

Cancel Purchase Notice

One thing I noticed was that in my personal email inbox, I received both notices, firstly the invoice, then the cancel transaction notice. But in my actual eBay account inbox, I did not receive the invoice, only the cancel transaction notice. Maybe this is a clue? I have contacted eBay but apparently they do not provide direct answers, and stack most of the deck in favor of sellers. Quite surprising.. What to do?

I do not remember receiving invoices in my ebay inbox from purchases.   As the cancel transaction was in your ebay inbox it seems unlikely this is a spoof.

Message 8 of 8
Latest reply