Cancelling ebay winning orders

Ebay Au need to clamp down on sellers cancelling orders on people who have won items via bidding. Sellers are cancelling orders as they feel they didnt reach high enough prices although the format of the listing was clearly an auction format. I have been stuffed around on ebay too many times and its becoming unreliable like gumtree. 

Message 1 of 20
Latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Yes it's not good form.

But eBay do encourage sellers to start at 99 cents and many newish sellers think if they put a BIN price, that's as good as a reserve.

You have feedback to communicate your experience.

Perhaps a neutral with "Seller didn't honour the sale at auction"

image host
Message 2 of 20
Latest reply

I totally agree. But on the other side of the coin eBay should also clamp down on non-paying bidders, and buyers who think it is ok to buy and then cancel because they have changed their mind 5 minutes later.

Message 3 of 20
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
I think I have just been ripped off by a seller.
Won an auction. Paid immediately after winning.
Two days later seller marked item as sent.
One day later refunds PayPal payment and tells me to deposit to his bank account as his PayPal account is being "reconfigured".
I paid for the item via his bank account even though I didn't really want to as it is just giving your money away.
He had one hundred percent feedback but just scored a negative for refunding PayPal payment and relisting a buyers item.
He hasn't answered any of my questions since I deposited the money into his bank account.
He lives in Adelaide. Hopefully I don't find him when I visit my sister because I will have a paid holiday
Message 4 of 20
Latest reply

I suspect you have been had. You should never pay by bank deposit as you have no protection, no matter what the excuse. If there is something wrong with his Paypal account it is up to him to fix it or cancel the sale.

I hope I am wrong but I think you have lost your money now and you will have to see thas as a good lesson learned. If it was a lot of money then the only option you have if you don't recieve your item is to take him to court, but you will have to decide if it is cost effective.

Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
Funny how ebay makes a big song and dance about the dangers of transacting off of eBay.
I have never been ripped off when dealing outside of ebay but have been a few times on ebay.
Thankfully I have received a refund from ebay with a couple but not every time. Especially when the GSP is involved. They won't always refund the shipping
Message 6 of 20
Latest reply

@marwi5023 wrote:
I think I have just been ripped off by a seller.
Won an auction. Paid immediately after winning.
Two days later seller marked item as sent.
One day later refunds PayPal payment and tells me to deposit to his bank account as his PayPal account is being "reconfigured".
I paid for the item via his bank account even though I didn't really want to as it is just giving your money away.
He had one hundred percent feedback but just scored a negative for refunding PayPal payment and relisting a buyers item.
He hasn't answered any of my questions since I deposited the money into his bank account.
He lives in Adelaide. Hopefully I don't find him when I visit my sister because I will have a paid holiday

If you knew it was just giving money away why did you go ahead and do it?  The fact that they marked it as sent and then refunded your money a day later should have been enough to make you very wary, let alone being asked to pay by bank deposit instead.  I can only conclude you did it because you hate money so much.

Message 7 of 20
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
Brerrabbit I wasn't asking for or care for any response to my particular problem.
Mainly because I knew that it would be thrown back in my face.
I was just stating how in my experience sellers are harder to deal with than buyers especially on ebay.
I could have listed others but this is what I'm dealing with right now and I will deal with this particular seller in ways that he will not be appreciating
Message 8 of 20
Latest reply

marwi5023
Community Member
Brerrabbit, best bit is I'm unemployed so it was your money I gave away because don't forget welfare doesn't belong to the recipient it belongs to those that pay tax.
Everyone keeps telling us that. You know those worthless members of society. The unemployed the disabled
Message 9 of 20
Latest reply

I feel really sorry for you as i had similar experiences several years ago. Not with seller marking item as sent but with me trying to pay into paypal & seller being very attentive, telling me they were having trouble with their account etc & giving me bank details instead.

Because they had good feedback, I paid by bank deposit and that was the last I ever heard & within days the negs started rolling in for them and they were 'no longer a member' before i could give feedback.

By the sounds of it, you've lost your money. I doubt ebay will do a thing as you didn't pay via paypal. You could try ringing them & explain what happened, I suppose, see how you go. If they can see the messages from him at least they will have been alerted to what sort of seller he is. At the moment if no one rings, it looks as if he just refunded the money.

It used to be reasonably safe a decade or more ago to pay via bank deposit as that was about the only way you could, but it has always carried risk. These days, now there is paypal, if any seller, ever, says that their paypal is playing up, just reply that you will pay when they get it up & running again.

If they try telling you your payment hasn't gone through, check your own paypal account, it will soon tell you if it has or not. Then stand by your guns. paypal or nothing (unless you're buying a pick up item)

Message 10 of 20
Latest reply