Car radio

I bought an item off ebay which the seller failed to say that it was licked to a certain vehicle and could not be unlocked tgerefore rendering the item useless. I proceeded to get a refund tgrough ebays money back garuntee but was denied because i paid for the item by direct deposit. Only doing so bexause paypal will not allow me to use tgeir services. I paid $520 for the item and seller refuses to refund. Where do i go now?
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Car radio

Fair trading. If the seller is an Australian registered business. Or maybe ACORN - you probably won't get your money back, but the seller will theoretically be on their radar if they do it frequently.

You are entirely at the mercy of the seller if you pay by direct deposit. NO trading platform will give you protection, as they have no way of knowing if you even paid. And the processes are automated.

If you have transgressed Paypal's conditions, maybe try buying from real shops. Or facebook.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Car radio

@brendasmit311,

Ouch... That's a lot of money to lose.

I presume you meant "linked" rather than "licked"? I just have this insane vision of a giant tongue licking a Toyota HiLux.

Davewil has really given you the only two options possible (ACORN and/or Fair Trading / Consumer Affairs, as the case may be for your particular state) - and they're primarily for use if the seller is in Australia. If it's an overseas seller, I honestly do not see that you'll get your money back.

Perhaps the best thing to do is to list this car radio on eBay to get back as much money as you can, so that you're not out the entire amount.

In future, you would definitely be wise (for large transaction amounts, or to sellers you don't know or have reason to trust, or indeed for any online purchase) to pay only either by PayPal or - if the seller has a merchant account - by credit card to the seller. If you pay by PayPal, you're covered by eBay's Money Back Guarantee, and also by PayPal's own dispute system. If those two fail, then you always have a third option - to have your credit card provider do a chargeback. eBay's Money Back Guarantee also covers you if you pay through the seller's merchant account as long as it's online, and of course credit card payments are also covered by your card provider.

Spoiler
I do sometimes pay by online bank transfer, but only in situations where I have full knowledge of the recipient and have certain information to hand.

You say "paypal will not allow me to use tgeir services" - do you mean you yourself cannot use PayPal? Or do you mean that the seller told you that there was something wrong with their PayPal account?

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Car radio

I would ring up the car company to see if they can help you unlock it.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Car radio

@brendasmit311 wrote:
I bought an item off ebay which the seller failed to say that it was licked to a certain vehicle and could not be unlocked tgerefore rendering the item useless. I proceeded to get a refund tgrough ebays money back garuntee but was denied because i paid for the item by direct deposit. Only doing so bexause paypal will not allow me to use tgeir services. I paid $520 for the item and seller refuses to refund. Where do i go now?

The seller was just abprivate seller in Glen Waverley, i checked his selling record all 100% i am unable to use paypal becausevof my ex wife so i usually pay cash but this guy even though he stated pick up was Glen Waverley after winning the item and contacting him for pick up he told me he was in Sydney for some reason and that he took the radio with him. Leaving me no other option than to direct deposit. I have a photo of the deposit slip as he wanted me to send it to him for proof so that he could post the item. In his advert he advised to take certain measures before bidding to make sure the unit was a correct fit which i did, but he failed to mention that the unit was locked to the original vehicle and no one in the world has the ability to unlock it as they had not followed the correct procedure for removal. He bought the unit 6 months earlier but says he sold his car and never got around to fitting it but also states in his advert that the unit works. I have asked him how he checked that the unit works but he refuses to answer my question because if he had of checked like he said he would of had the same problem. Therefore he has lied about that aswell

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Car radio

@brendasmit311 wrote:

i am unable to use paypal becausevof my ex wife so i usually pay cash 

I would strongly advise you not to buy any more items on-line until you can sort out your Paypal problem, otherwise this won't be the only time you get ripped off.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Car radio

Mr Tippy has an ex wife. He also has a PayPal account. Although he usually prefers to use mine as it more often than not has money in it. Anyone can get a PayPal account, so long as they have an email address.

You either have to get a new ex wife, or a new PayPal account. I suggest the latter would be the better option. If you and your ex share an email address (absolutely crazy if you do), create a free one through Hotmail, Yahoo or Gmail.

Spoiler
I'm confused how having an ex wife would prevent someone from using PayPal
Spoiler
Could the OP have got on the wrong side of PayPal and they have banned him?
Spoiler
Sad if that's the case given he's only got 11 feedback.
Spoiler
I have no issues with Mr Tippy's ex wife.
Spoiler
We are friends on Facebook and when the kids were younger we'd talk on the phone heaps.
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Car radio

you may have been sold a stolen radio

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Car radio

He might not be able to get another ex-wife.

It is a pretty thin excuse - there are many more ways to get around it than to wear it. But I don't do martyrdom.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply