Concerned about a purchase

On the 3rd of June, I bought a Nintendo 3DS. IT was bought at around midnight and not paid for straight away... The next morning around 10am I get a message saying "just waiting for payment then I can send the DS" , I didn't reply immediately. A few hours later I get a message asking me if I still wanted to buy the DS.. I explained that I wouldn't be able to pay until the Friday (last week) and that if he didnt want to go through with the sale then to just send me a mutual cancelation and he can relist; he said he would wait.. 

I sent through the money via PayPal on Friday morning and sent a message telling him so.. I got a message around 2am Tuesday morning apologising for not sending the DS as he had forgotten it was a public holiday and would send it tomorrow (He might have meant Tuesday) 

It hasn't been marked as posted yet so I sent him a message as I know that not all sellers mark items as posted. 

So far there has been no reply.... 

I do know the dangers of buying electronic devices on ebay so I don't need to know about that.

I also noticed that he has "relisted this item or something similar" I know this usually just means that they have twomore than one item the same, but I was wondering what the chances are of him having two 3DSs to sell as he doesn't appear to be a refurbisher.. 

Is there any reason for concern, or am I just being paranoid? Normally I wouldn't worry but it was just weird that he sent me two messages within 12 hours of me buying the DS and now nothing.

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

If he has 3 kids, he might have 3 DS's etc - we have 4 iPads (one is mine), 3 iPods, 3 phones etc, so yes that is possible.

If we are just talking this week that there are no messages, it could be something as simple as he is having internet issues atm

Maybe he posted Tuesday as he said on the way to gio on holidays for a few days and it hasn't occurred to him that he needs to reassure you that he has done what he said he would.

so whilst I would be a bit worried, I wouldn't be too worried just yet.

Maybe if nothing by early next week, start to worry a bit more.

You could open a dispute in PayPal and see if that raises any contact

then when you want to, raise that to a claim.

alternatively, have you tried pulling his contact details and giving him a ring?

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 2 of 29
Latest reply

@*crikey*mate* wrote:

If he has 3 kids, he might have 3 DS's etc - we have 4 iPads (one is mine), 3 iPods, 3 phones etc, so yes that is possible.

If we are just talking this week that there are no messages, it could be something as simple as he is having internet issues atm

Maybe he posted Tuesday as he said on the way to gio on holidays for a few days and it hasn't occurred to him that he needs to reassure you that he has done what he said he would.

so whilst I would be a bit worried, I wouldn't be too worried just yet.

Maybe if nothing by early next week, start to worry a bit more.

You could open a dispute in PayPal and see if that raises any contact

then when you want to, raise that to a claim.

alternatively, have you tried pulling his contact details and giving him a ring?

From his writing (typing?) style he seems quite young to be having 3 kids all with a 3DS, If he did have 3 kids each with a 3DS then why would he be selling them? And why use the same photo for both listings?

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 3 of 29
Latest reply

if you havent received the item in 7-10 days just open a dispute with paypal

Message 4 of 29
Latest reply

dunno patch, one of my kids just upgraded to one with a bigger screen - dont know the name of the newer version?

another one swapped their machine for a colour they liked better, so when i got the colour he wanted next child got the other one - spose iof i didnt have more kids would have sold it?

maybe he isnt legit - maybe he just found a heap at the local cash converters clearance sale and bought them all up

was just some examples of why it may not be a scam - yet

but you paid with paypal, so you have protection and shouldnt end up a victim if this is a scammer.

i hope you're not and that everything woprks out ok

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 29
Latest reply

Under the circumstances Patch, I'd be a little concerned too. He seems to be very inexperienced, has only 15 transactions and has only ever left 1 feedback for others (and that said something like "just waiting for payment before I send the item"). As you paid with Paypal there won't be an issue with getting a refund but I wouldn't be waiting too long before lodging an INR as it does very much appear that he's relisted the same item that you purchased. I hope I'm wrong and your item arrives this week, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it didn't. Good luck regardless.
Message 6 of 29
Latest reply

Thats the problem of not being able to pay straight away and I try to a avoid it as much as possible. I also have had quite a lot of sellers of late not marking items as posted and when I contact them about it they always have an excuse. Then not long after whoopee at last (slightly coincidental) they mark item as posted, a bit like giving them a prod with a long sharp stick. Also you should get an email stating item is posted and also on your ebay site with the posted Icon. Fingers crossed item arrives.
Message 7 of 29
Latest reply

sellers don't have to mark parcels posted, they can do as they please.
Message 8 of 29
Latest reply

Well tell Ebay about them. They are always up in arms about buyers all the time.
Message 9 of 29
Latest reply

The description for the second item, is a bit different to the one you bought. It adds: Also two downloadable games already on it!

This second item is sold now.

Perhaps the seller did have 2 of this item?

11 sales since end of May -  3 positive feedback received.

Message 10 of 29
Latest reply