Confused!

Made an offer on item from the US and seller accepted the price but the shipping cost was not included on listing. Asked seller for shipping cost but got no reply!!! Then requested seller to cancel the order which they did. Do you think seller is obligated to give me shipping cost?
Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Confused!

con.jpegim 84% confused and 16% i dont know  !!

con2.png

Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

Confused!

@michellebartley wrote:
Made an offer on item from the US and seller accepted the price but the shipping cost was not included on listing. Asked seller for shipping cost but got no reply!!! Then requested seller to cancel the order which they did. Do you think seller is obligated to give me shipping cost?

Michelle, that's my definition of living dangerously.Smiley Frustrated

Why on earth make an offer when you have no idea how much the postage might be?

I've read and seen US items that have postage of about $50 or more.

This reminds me of a NZ buyer we had who bought a bag (when we did have a postage cost, sells to Australia only listed) then got extremely stroppy when quoted international postage which was exactly what Aust post was going to charge us!

If you have to make an offer, at least do as go-tazz said and make an offer specifying that the offer includes postage, then the seller can accept or reject it. No answer & you know they have rejected it.

Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

Confused!

Yes but if I make an offer and commit to buy and it turns out shipping quote is too costly then I can request seller to cancel the order. The listing also said "No international shipping" so I was fortunate seller did add the cost for me.
Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

Confused!

NO......you do not make an offer without knowing the shipping cost.   You should know the shipping cost BEFORE making an offer so you do not have to cancel.   The idea of making an offer is that you have commited to buy if the seller accepts the offer.

And if the seller has stated no international posting then you should not even be looking at buying the item or making an offer.

Michelle, you should know all of this after all the time you have been buying on ebay and posting on the boards.

Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

Confused!

NO......you do not make an offer without knowing the shipping cost.   You should know the shipping cost BEFORE making an offer so you do not have to cancel.   The idea of making an offer is that you have commited to buy if the seller accepts the offer.

And if the seller has stated no international posting then you should not even be looking at buying the item or making an offer.

Michelle, you should know all of this after all the time you have been buying on ebay and posting on the boards.

Just hitting home what lyndal said. Michelle, to me you still don't know how to trade on eBay.

No international postage, you shouldn't be contacting the member and respect their wishes.

image host
Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

Confused!

@michellebartley wrote:

@michellebartley wrote:
Yes but if I make an offer and commit to buy and it turns out shipping quote is too costly then I can request seller to cancel the order. The listing also said "No international shipping" so I was fortunate seller did add the cost for me.

michelle, I do wish you would make full disclosures when you start a thread.

Based on the bolded text in my quotes of your opening post and most recent post, my answer to your question "Do you think seller is obligated to give me shipping cost?" is an emphatic NO, I think the seller would be within their rights to simply ignore you just as you have ignored their "No international shipping" notice in their listing.

Do you even understand what "No international shipping means" ?  Your actions would indicate that you do not, but surely you do.

Please don't disrespect sellers the way you have in this instance and then come here looking for validation of your actions.  And please don't disrespect us by trickling relevant information as the thread progresses.

Personally, I expect that you will just trickle information to us, that makes it incredibly difficult to offer help as our replies depend on knowing all relevant facts.

Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

Confused!

But, but, but, the rules don't apply to Michelle. EVERY seller is OBLIGATED to sell to her, regardless of whether they want to or not. I'm sure when she makes these offers to sellers who state no international shipping, she doesn't tell them where she is.

Michelle, there's a reason why sellers stipulate No International Shipping. They don't want to post internationally. Like a lot of sellers here, the risks are too high. Others may know quarantine laws of different countries, so refuse to post items which can be seized by customs, like rodent food.

Spoiler
Now I feel bad. True story. As I was writing the above, the mouse trap in the kitchen snapped, as did the big rat trap in the ceiling. Hopefully that's the last of them now.
Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

Confused!

Maybe Michelle will come here with a sob story when she has to pay GST on her

critter food for importing it, instead of buying locally.

Yes, Michelle, you read that right.  Gov't is bringing in a GST component for

imported goods.

They're critters - they'll eat anything - buy locally.

Spoiler
 Must be the cold weather driving them indoors, Tippy.   I've caught 6 mice so far,
and think of Michelle every time I dispose of them.

Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

Confused!

@imastawka wrote:

Maybe Michelle will come here with a sob story when she has to pay GST on her

critter food for importing it, instead of buying locally.

Yes, Michelle, you read that right.  Gov't is bringing in a GST component for

imported goods.

They're critters - they'll eat anything - buy locally.

Spoiler
 Must be the cold weather driving them indoors, Tippy.   I've caught 6 mice so far,
and think of Michelle every time I dispose of them.

Spoiler
I think there's a bit of a plague happening around here as traps and baits are hard to get at the moment. It's not helped by the neighbours leaving dry food out for their pets all the time. I cringe when I see a huge rat snacking on the dry food.
Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

Confused!

It was small animal bedding to be precise and not food. Im quite chuffed actually as the seller shipped the item super fast.
Message 20 of 33
Latest reply