Cost Shipping

I would like to know why Ebay charges a very high percentage when you buy in another country. For example, I want to buy a toy in the United States. The shipping costs vary a lot from one place to another, when it is the same toy, the same size and the same weight. . If a toy is worth 60 dollars, why do I have to pay up to 100 dollars in shipping costs? And if I want to negotiate with the buyer to pay less, then Ebay raises the shipping costs. In the end, the 10 dollars that I can save with the buyer, I have to give to Ebay. I don't think that way of doing business is correct.

Message 1 of 6
Latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Cost Shipping

You don't have to

You know the cost up front, if it is too much, don't buy it

Or find a seller who does not use the postal services that charge so much for small items 

Not sure what 'eBay' has to do with it

You mention 'the buyer' a couple of times, but you are the buyer?

And which part of the postage cost are you giving to eBay?  

How does eBay know you have negotiated with 'the buyer' (yourself) for them to raise shipping costs? 

I think you have the wrong end of many sticks

But contact eBay and see what they have to say

Message 2 of 6
Latest reply

Cost Shipping

Your post isn't really clear, to be honest.

Some sellers use regular tracked postage and others use a certain shipping programme called the GSP, which costs a hell of a LOT more than regular tracked postage, which is why you're seeing $100 postage from some sellers. If you want to buy a toy from a specific seller overseas, you will need to accept whatever service and method they have chosen to charge for postage and ask questions before purchasing.

Item and postage costs are set by the individual sellers - Ebay is not selling you anything itself, they are just the middle man. Ebay is not raising the cost of postage, but the individual seller might raise it to make up for any negotiated "loss".

Unless the listing invites you to "Make an Offer", it would be really insulting to start negotiating and would also be huge red flag for many sellers - you will find yourself blocked for many of them. 

Why don't you just buy the toy from an Australian shop?

Message 3 of 6
Latest reply

Cost Shipping

Simple - buy Australian.

Message 4 of 6
Latest reply

Cost Shipping

I found your post a bit confusing but basically, ebay doesn't set the costs or write the ads. The individual sellers on ebay do that. They can charge whatever they decide is a fair thing on the item and they also need to calculate postage. Each seller might have different costs, even for the same item. Same as in real shops.

It actually doesn't matter what the cost of the item is when it comes to postage. It will depend on the shape & weight of the item and what postale service they use.

International postage is expensive. That's just the way it is. I recently sent a document-just a photocopied flat document, no heavy covers, about 100 A4 photocopy pages-to UK. Cost was about $42. 

Sellers on ebay won't necessarily charge the exact shipping cost either, they may charge a bit extra to cover the cost of the box or the bubble wrap or packaging.

If you're not happy with the total price of an item, don't buy. If the situation is you are asking US sellers if they will ship to Aust and how much, be aware it is going to cost a lot more than whatever they have quoted for domestic postage or even postage to places like Canada.

Message 5 of 6
Latest reply

Cost Shipping

In my experience the shipping cost is set at that amount unfortunately, you could beg to the seller to have it reduced but I doubt whether you will have any luck. Sometimes you can do a bundle and still have the same shipping cost.

Message 6 of 6
Latest reply