Counterfeit AP post satchels being sold on ebay

I had heard that there where counterfeit Australia Post satchels being sold on ebay but didnt realise how common they where. I have had a few packs of ten I have purchased over the last six months that have looked a bit different from the norm, but all have mailed succesfully.

Today I recieved a letter from AP advising that I had used a fake satchel and enclosing an account for the postage cost and an extra fee for the delivery service. I had already used most of the satchels from the pack, which had passed through the AP system unquestioned, and I suspect I may have inadvertantly mailed up to 50 other fake satchels over the last few months, all purchased on ebay.

So what to look for. .......

The biggest give away is that the fakes have a different stick on bar code sticker in place of the normal satchel sticker. This is a genuine AP bar code, given away in rolls by AP to customers to attach to parcels and pay for when used. The second indicator is the fakes I have seen all have two round punch holes in the satchel corner. The third indicator is the fake satchels are more difficult to write on. The last lot I had required a texta as a normal biro would not write on the surface. As the bar code stickers are a genuine AP product, they scan in succesfully when presented at the post office counter.

According to my local AP office. the counterfeit satchels are made in China with Australian sellers attaching the AP bar code sticker to the bags before selling them on ebay. Unfortunately I buy a lot of these satchels and so cant be sure which seller I got the fakes from, but will be keeping a close eye out for them in future.

Below is a photo of one of the fake satchels.

Picture 26486.jpg

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

The tracking number not problem. these tracking number is not prepaid postage tracking number. You can get free tracking label at post office. The tracking number from " 634 ". or can buy from Ebay " 50 of Australia Post Express Post Tracking labels For Domestic Parcel". 

Message 31 of 34
Latest reply

The tracking number was the one on the satchel minus the '997'. It doesn't matter - you lodged the satchel and you didn't have to pay postage, therefore it was a legitimate prepaid satchel, with a valid number.

Message 32 of 34
Latest reply

" 9979". 

Message 33 of 34
Latest reply

@mxmee wrote:

NEW FAKE EXPRESS POST BAGS(SATCHEL)SALE ON EBAY.

The express post label from "9979634..........." and the label from "9979634..........." has been used 2 different size bags (3 kg satchel and 5 Kg satchel). If you use AP apps to scan will get from " 634........... " 14 digital tracking number. That 14 digital tracking number from " 634........... " the postage didn't paid. If lodged post office will get " article lodgement express post label tracking number: ..............."(doesn't show size the satchel). All express satchel if lodged in post office will show size the satchel. E.g, The old tracking number(bar code) 500g from "606......" , 1 Kg from "485......" , 3 Kg from "607......" and 5 Kg from "608......" will show "express post small satchel", "EP 1 Kg satchel", "express post medium satchel" and "express post large satchel". The new QR code tracking number I don't explain.
These are not prepaid postage satchel.

My head hurts, as do my eyes. More my head though. Feels like someone is kicking me. Please make it stop.

Message 34 of 34
Latest reply