Dick Smith says posted but no tracking number

As Dick Smith has gone into receivership I want to cancel my purchase from their ebay store. Ebay wont let me cancel as they say I have to wait until February for the item to arrive as seller has marked it as posted. There are no tracking details available and now that they are in receivership they wont be shipping any orders out. How do I go about getting a refund as I paid by paypal?

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Dick Smith says posted but no tracking number

Contact your bank, if you funded the paypal payment with a credit card. At this point, they are likely to ask you to wait a little, but you can ask them what their position is regarding Dick Smith purchases that don't arrive, as opposed to the normal situation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Wait until the last date of the estimate has passed and then lodge an item not received dispute through PayPal. If it was already marked as posted, chances are it has been posted. Not everyone uploads tracking numbers.

Message 2 of 13
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply. Item was listed as coming from Sydney which is usually overnight to my area. Even without a tracking number I cant understand why they would give such a long time frame for it to arrive. It is starting to look like they were trading while insolvent. At the time of taking my (and others) money it looks like they knew they wouldn't be able to supply the orders they were taking.
Message 3 of 13
Latest reply

February is a long wait. When I purchased from DS in 2014 (went back and checked), I received:

an email with an invoice/receipt directly from DS

an email stating the item was posted, with tracking details, directly from DS

in addition to the usual eBay purchase confirmation email.

My purchase was around 350$ and large, and was shipped with a courier.

Was your purchase lower cost or a smallish item? They might not use tracking for everything. If you don't get it put a claim in ASAP as posted above.

You could also try eBay messaging them to ask for a tracking number, if they have one, or give them a call. I would be asking. You can get their eBay number by requesting contact information through Advanced, top right. DS would get yours too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buttercup: You mock my pain! Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.
Message 4 of 13
Latest reply

You bought it on the 30th, the earliest it would have been posted would have been yesterday. It may still turn up. Mail to me from Sydney is normally overnight too, but has taken 3-4 days before, especially at busy times.

As for trading while insolvent, quite often the people who matter the most (the workers) are the last to find out. It's quite possible no-one was told until today, even though they would have been known about for weeks.

I noticed that the listing for that item now says "This seller is currently away, and is not processing orders at this time. You can add this item to your watch list to purchase later"

All their other listings appear to have been taken down.

Message 5 of 13
Latest reply

My item was a small item and I didn't get any invoice or receipt from them directly. The item is listed with ebay as being posted and that is why I cant start a dispute or go thru the resolution process as the delivery time frame hasn't passed. I was just wondering if there was a way around having to wait til February before I can start to do anything?

Message 6 of 13
Latest reply

Wait a reasonable timeframe, then you can try talking to your bank if you paid by credit card. They might be able to help.

Message 7 of 13
Latest reply

Thanks for going to the trouble of looking it up for me. I understand that it is not long since I purchased but Dick smith have stated that they are not shipping any orders due to being in the hands of administrators. As they gave such a long delivery time frame I am assuming they dont or didnt have stock to ship my order.

I am very sad for the many emplyees of dick smith and their families. It is devastating to turn up to work and find out that you not only dont have a job but entitlements could be lost too. I in no way blame the workers at all as they are the biggest victim in this and I feel very badly for them. My comment was referring to the fact that even after officially announcing they would not be shipping outstanding orders they were still taking orders (and money) knowing that they couldn't provide the goods.

Their ebay store was still trading late this afternoon but I see now that yes as you say "the seller is away".

While my purchase is small in comparison to others larger orders I would like to cancel/dispute/get refunded due to the circumstances. I am wanting to know if there is a way around waiting until Feb (the delivery time frame they advised ebay) before I can do anything. I have tried various ways to raise a dispute but the system wont let me and have also contacted both ebay and dick smith but had no response.

Message 8 of 13
Latest reply

The Administrators have stated that they will continue trading (paying the staff) in the hopes of finding a buyer for the business.

If the item has aready been marked as posted you should wait a week or so in the hopes it will turn up,

If it doesn't, open a dispute in paypal for item not received.

Your buyer protectioin should kick in and paypal should refund you but I think you might have a fight on your hands as they can notget your money back from the Administrator.....they have frozen all payments, refunds, gift cards and orders.

Message 9 of 13
Latest reply

Contact your bank, if you funded the paypal payment with a credit card. At this point, they are likely to ask you to wait a little, but you can ask them what their position is regarding Dick Smith purchases that don't arrive, as opposed to the normal situation.

Message 10 of 13
Latest reply