Do foreign sellers think we are fools?

I'm wondering why an overseas seller would say that "we have already refunded you and you should get it in 24-48 hours" when it's pretty clear there's no refund or pending refund showing up on PayPal

Is this just a stretching tactic to (in their eyes) run the clock down? Pending refunds should appear in PayPal once initiated by a seller shouldn't they?

Incidentally there's something like 3 months left for PayPal protection. But seller offered to resolve so I've been giving them benefit of the doubt......for another day then not do much. Sadly feedback window passed but that's not so much an issue.
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@letscleanupmycupboards wrote:
I'm wondering why an overseas seller would say that "we have already refunded you and you should get it in 24-48 hours" when it's pretty clear there's no refund or pending refund showing up on PayPal

Is this just a stretching tactic to (in their eyes) run the clock down? Pending refunds should appear in PayPal once initiated by a seller shouldn't they?

Incidentally there's something like 3 months left for PayPal protection. But seller offered to resolve so I've been giving them benefit of the doubt......for another day then not do much. Sadly feedback window passed but that's not so much an issue.

I'd say some sellers, foreign or not, would hope that the buyer would just believe them and could be fobbed off for a while. Not everyone seems to know how to check their paypal account.

It probably works in quite a few cases (depends on how much the initial purchase was, i would imagine). There would be some customers who would just sit back & wait or assume it was done, or forget to follow it up. Others who might think-can't be bothered for $2 or $3 or whatever.

They probably hope that if you notice, you'll contact them again to say the money isn't in the account & at that stage they may refund. But in any case if they have managed to delay things past the feedback window it is a plus for them.

I have a feeling you're one of the customers who will definitely get your money back one way or another though.Smiley Wink, which is good to see.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Yes and it's a $70+ purchase of 3 lots. So not going to go away for them. They've done the round in circles thing already offering to resend it twice and refund it twice. But neither has happened.
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

Did you pay with Paypal funds, or a card through Paypal?

If it's a card, it has been well documented many times on the boards that a refund will go directly to your card. And will take a few days.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Yes davewill but in the past when this has happened it has shown up immediately on the PayPal screen, first as a "payment refunded" subtitle on the initial purchase, second as a standalone transaction in the summary. Usually if it's going to a card it will say pending too. As neither of these are the case I can only conclude the seller is attempting to string me out.

To put in perspective this refund was supposedly done Monday of last week then on Thursday I was told it had been completed. And since then no response from the seller. I get the feeling it's a refund pending me forgetting about it. Or has been suggested, not checking my PayPal or card.
Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

And I never pay with PayPal funds any more. Always c/c only.
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

I haven't had a refund from anyone for a long time but they didn't use to show in paypal at all if you'd used your credit card rather than pp funds. They only ever showed on my card account and that took at least a couple of days.
Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

The refund can be seen in paypal before it hits your credit card account.

Look at the original transaction and it should show as being reversed.  It is not a separate transaction.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Lyndal that's what I've always seen.

My patience is depleted. I lodged a dispute which probably couldn't happen if a refund had been issued already.
Message 9 of 9
Latest reply