Does Australian Post free insurance cover my item if drop in red box?

Thanks for all your help with my previous topic question. My other problem is today when I attempted to post an item that I sold on ebay in a prepaid registered post envelope at my local post office's counter, the lady at the counter asked me to drop my parcel into the street's red boxes instead since she said she could not take it at the counter because the item is not a document although the item does not exceed the maximum weight stated on that prepaid envelop. My question is does the Australia post office's free basic insurance that comes with the registered post delivery method covers my item if the item is lost in this way? Is there a very high possibility that the item will be lost if it was dropped into the red boxes instead of at a counter? Thanks in advance for your help.

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Also the post office lady at the counter poststamped my registered post receipt and enter my tracking number into their Post Office computer system.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

I'm surprised they wouldn't accept the parcel over the counter; non-express large letter items can contain anything, so it shouldn't have made a difference (I lodge all of my registered large letters over the counter at my PO).

That being said, if the registered number was entered into the system, it shouldn't make a difference to either the safety or insurance of the package.  

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

Hi 

I'm really sorry to hear you had issues when lodging your article over the counter.
The Post Office should certainly be taking your items over the counter if you request that.

In the event that an article cannot be located we would request proof of lodgement as part of our investigation which may not be able to be supplied if you place the item in a Street Posting Box.

If you need anything further please contact us on 13 13 18

Vanessa

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

I did have proof of lodgement as the post office lady has post-stamped(postmarked) my registered postage receipt it and she entered the registered number into their system.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

Thanks for all your posts and this question is now over. The online tracking system on the Australia Post website has shown that my item has been delivered on today and the buyer has already left me positive feedback. Many thanks again.

Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

Once they have logged it into the system my PO ladies often hand large letters back for me to put in the box outside as the collection time for the box is earlier than the pick up from the shop. On a Sat morning I always get them back and put them in the box as that is emptied on a Sunday so they get a head start on anything not picked up until mid Mon morning from within the shop.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 7 of 7
Latest reply