Ebay doesn't care if a seller repeatedly threatens physical violence

Does Ebay care if members abuse others and repeatedly threaten physical violence? I have to answer No, they definitely don't.  I made a small purchase and when the order arrived only half of what I ordered was in the envelope. I sent the seller a polite message and asked if he would send the remainder. He replied that he would. Shortly after I received a nessage from  Paypal telling me that I'd been given a refund. I told the seller I would have rather he send the missing parts. The seller immediately launched into a volley of fould language and threats of physical violence in over 40 emails which he continued to send until after 2am the next morning.

He told me he was flying up the next day to "Smash me" and teach me a lesson. He also told me he was arranging for his friends to pay me a visit. He rang my wife and abused her when she told him I was ill in bed and suddenly he assumed I was a schoolboy and my Wife was actually my Mother. He told me he was going to be waiting at the school gate the following Friday. His emails were gradually turning into more and more threats and more strange. He was flying up the day before, the following day, the following week and on Friday. I was getting the impression he had completely lost it. He informed me he was the one who would start it and it wouldn't be over until he saud it was over.

Things were turning into a nightmare so I rang the police. Three police officers turned and interviewed me and took copies of the emails. They showed great concern but obviously they couldn't really put my wife and myself under protection for a week.  Basically I was told there little I could do apart from getting an AVO at the local courthouse. They advised me to contact Ebay and if possible get the seller's name and address, I already knew this wasn't possible, but I did go ahead and inform them of the situation. They told me they would be taking action and in no way do they allow anyone to threaten members. My only course of action was to leave feedback telling others what had happened in just a few words.

I wrote to the seller as the police suggested and told him the police had been contacted. Very quickly he replied saying things like "us servicemen should stick together" and he loved me and only got upset because of his PTSD. He had mentioned earlier that he was an ex- commando in the SAS. Personally I found this hard to believe, SAS personell are taught to handle conflicts, and nothing he said earlier appeared to be done with any hint of self control. But obviously the mention of police made him change his tune, even though he said he could handle them with no worries. I'm 70 years of age and my Wife is 73 neither of us had any sleep and to be honest we were scared. The police promised to keep sending a car past our house and if anything happened to use the Medialert I have. 

So I left the negative feedback, I could hardly leave any positive, even though he sent me the missing parts and a full refund. At no stage did I encourage his behaviour, in fact in all I sent only 4 emails total. Ebay in their wisdom decided to remove my negative feedback and he's happily selling. Possibly because he pleaded it was his supposed PTSD which caused the problem. I'll definitely remember that one, PTSD made me do it. So Ebay believed him with no proof, just his word. It makes no difference if he thought I was a schoolboy and was silling to take me apart at the school gate. No, I'm a disable war veteran on a war service pension, confined to bed. 

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

@joztamps wrote:

@*bmw_rider* wrote:

Whatever the hell "dead stiff" is supposed to imply. Why not use "normal" language and not local slang. Most people understand ordinary English

You must be kidding, get fair dinkum.

I have no idea what 'dead stiff' means either.

Message 21 of 43
Latest reply

Have you ever found a mouse that was dead stiff?

Or one that was run over by a car would be dead flat 

Message 22 of 43
Latest reply

@joztamps wrote:

If we are then talking about 2 different transactions and 2 different negs, you have twice been assailed by "foul language and threats" from sellers.

You have been dead stiff.

Still doesn't make any sense to me in the context you have used it.

Message 23 of 43
Latest reply

as we see from some very high profile cases (trump, roseanne & Sam B) there are some people who type first think later.

these days there is no 'getting away' with stuff you write and press send with.

this guy has used the internet to make threats, there are laws about that now.

you did the right thing, getting police involved. i dont know why thay cant find out who this idiot is and track him down.

a knock on his door by a police officer would most likely put the wind up him.

telling him hes on notice.

i had a seller way back in my early days make threats to me after i reported an item not turning up.

i contacted ebay and made a report.

i contacted the police with copies of messages. (he said he would get his mates to pay me a visit too)

i never heard from him again.

it may take a while but i believe he wont 'get away with it'

Message 24 of 43
Latest reply

@*bmw_rider* wrote:

Things were turning into a nightmare so I rang the police. Three police officers turned and interviewed me and took copies of the emails. They showed great concern but obviously they couldn't really put my wife and myself under protection for a week.  Basically I was told there little I could do apart from getting an AVO at the local courthouse. They advised me to contact Ebay and if possible get the seller's name and address, I already knew this wasn't possible...

Wasn't the seller's address marked on the packing (i.e. the return address)?  I'll normally snap a photo of the return address with my phone if I'm not able to keep the packaging, and can't properly inspect an item straight away.

You can also request a member's contact details via ebay, as per here:

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/ebayadvsearch?_sofindtype=9

They'll also receive your contact details, but as they already have your name and address from sending, that's not particularly relavent (though you could always try changing your details prior to submitting the request).

If a seller were to threaten me like that, I'd be contacting the police station closest to them and making a report, then providing the seller with the reference number so they are aware you're serious.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 25 of 43
Latest reply

Just out of curiosity,  you have been in touch with your local police and ebay,  Has anyone told you to contact AFP, as it is not a state police matter.   I also find it hard to believe that ebay are not interested. did  you make it abundantly clear that you wished to officially report the member for sending threatening messages.  Perhaps contact ebay via online chat, they can read the relevant messages

while in contact with you, and you will get a transcript emailed to you.

By the way,  Stiff = Unlucky

Dead set Stiff   =  Extremely unlucky

Message 26 of 43
Latest reply

If interested, grab a book called The Gift of Fear (Gavin De Becker) - it's a decent read (though a bit repetitive and meandering at times, IMO Smiley LOL ), and provides clear info into situations like this, recognising when to take threats being made seriously, when not to, how to respond (if at all), and how to de-escalate such situations. 

Message 27 of 43
Latest reply

Horrible experience, bmw_rider.

As has been said previously on this thread, do get in touch with eBay personally, using the "Have us call you" option. (This is a piece of advice that I have stored as a macro because it so often seems to be the only way of getting a satisfactory resolution.)

eBay's "Have us call you" option (click onto the link) is by far the best way to get in touch with eBay. (Emails are useless, for a number of reasons, but primarily because the responses, when they are finally sent, are bot-generated.)

eBay say: We'll call you at the phone number registered to your account, or you can enter a different number.

We’re available from 8am to 10pm AET, 7 days a week.

I would also delete abusive messages once I see that communication has headed down a slope made of ordure. I know that you and your wife were very worried and upset, and that you took it seriously enough to visit the police. Or - if you want to keep the messages as evidence - I would simply not read them.

Firstly, the seller's details... Have you used the Advanced Search to find your seller's contact information? You can give that information to the police, who should be able to identify the individual and organise either a visit (from the local police) or a quick phone call advising he has no further contact with you. (However, if contact has now ceased, and there have been no further threats since the "We're all mates, we're all servicemen" message, I would let sleeping dogs lie.)

There is at least a possibilty that a reinstated negative would stir things up again. It is up to you if you want to go ahead with pursuing reinstated negative feedback (which is your right as a buyer on eBay).

In the phone call with eBay, I'd be addressing a number of things in order of importance.

1. Firstly, give the rep who calls you the police incident number. Offer to fax or attach a PDF scan of a copy of the report if this is required. This establishes that you were in serious concern for your safety and that the police took it seriously enough to write an incident report.
  2. Secondly, refer the eBay rep to read the messages sent by the seller. Unless eBay is specifically informed by you, they wouldn't know about the plethora of threats. (eBay bots do monitor messages, but not for threats - only for things such as requests for contact information before a sale is made, or eBay addresses, or web links, or wording that suggests an off-eBay transaction.) Ask that the seller have action taken against them for having abused eBay policy in using profanities and threats. (Refer the eBay rep to the Profanity policy (and don't forget to report the seller) and the Member-to-member contact policy.)
  3. Thirdly, state that your negative feedback for the transaction was removed, and that you would like it to be reinstated. (This is assuming that you didn't contravene an eBay policy in the wording of the negative, and also assuming that you want the negative reinstated.)

I would not shrug off any abusive threat from anyone without taking steps to protect myself; I know we'll all read of or seen horrific examples in the media lately where threats did escalate to action. It is perhaps less likely to occur in this situation (where there's nothing personal between you and the seller; it's over an eBay transaction), but the police being made aware of the threats was, I think, a good idea. If nothing escalates, all well and good.

(For the record, if my safety and the safety of those I love were at risk, I'd let the feedback go - assuming that the threats are no longer being sent.)

Message 28 of 43
Latest reply

@digital*ghost wrote:

If interested, grab a book called The Gift of Fear (Gavin De Becker) - it's a decent read (though a bit repetitive and meandering at times, IMO Smiley LOL ), and provides clear info into situations like this, recognising when to take threats being made seriously, when not to, how to respond (if at all), and how to de-escalate such situations. 

* takes a mental note of the book mentioned *

Message 29 of 43
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

@digital*ghost wrote:

* takes a mental note of the book mentioned *

I'd actually recommend it particularly to eBay sellers, TBH. Quite often I read something and had a moment where I thought... "I've had customers just like that" Smiley Surprised And there's some tools in there for dealing with difficult people, even non-threatening ones.

Literal spoiler below. In both senses of the phrase. Smiley Very Happy

Spoiler
It also happens to contain one of my more recent favourite quotes: "....niceness does not equal goodness. Niceness is a decision, a strategy of social interaction; it is not a character trait. People seeking to control others almost always present the image of a nice person in the beginning." 
Message 30 of 43
Latest reply