Ebay removed negative feedback

frme63
Community Member

I have lost trust in ebay today.

I bought a CD from a seller who claimed this Pink Floyd CD was a rare USA 1st release (which are very collectable) and asked a premium price.  His description clearly stated it was "the rare 1983 1st USA release" with the "rare two-track mastering".  It was neither.

When I recieved the CD I found it was the common later release (they look the same) with the common mastering.  I responded to the seller with evidence that it was a later, common CD which do not have much value.  The seller was abusive and would not allow a refund.  Eventually ebay intervened and found in my favour and returned the amount paid.  I then went to send it back to the seller and more abuse followed with him saying I had to pay for return postage.  Eventually he paid for postage and I returned the CD.

I left the seller short negative feedback, which was later removed by ebay.  I was outstanded that after all that, including that he misled his claim to obtain a premium price, ebay removed the negative feedback.  So I asked ebay to investigate why the negative feedback was removed.  Eventually they replied:

Hello xxx

I understand that the feedback you've left is your opinion, however eBay has guidelines in place to ensure feedback is honest, professional and appropriate.

If feedback is not in line with our policies, we may investigate and take action. We can remove these, according to our guidelines.

We know that you may not have been aware that this was against eBay's rules. Now is a great time to become familiar with our feedback policies. Our guidelines can be found here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-ov.html

I know this isn’t the response you were hoping for, but I trust I've been able to explain our position clearly.

Kind regards,

Genevieve P.

eBay Customer Service

The feedback was not an 'opinion' but factual - I even had evidence that the listing was false and misleading! But what really bugs me, is the condenscending ebay reply about "now it is a great time to become familiar with our feedback policies "and I trust I have been able to explain our position clearly", when clearly they haven't!

So does this mean we cannot trust feedback on ebay?  

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

This is the latest reply from Ebay regarding my request for a more senior manager to review the complaint. Note the condescending tone, their refusal to re-instate the negative feedback and worse, saying "if ever we would have substantial proof of the seller's trade practice not being in line with ebay's policies, then appropriate action will be taken against his account." Well I have the substantial proof the seller has breached Ebay's polices yet not once has Ebay asked me for it, despite me offering it to them several times. The dishonesty is astonishing.
Hi xxx,

Thanks for reaching ebay once again.

I have reviewed the decision regarding the Feedback that you have left for the seller. Apparently we are unable to divulge any information due to privacy concerns and we are also unable to reinstate the Feedback you have left. Rest assured, I have already reported the seller as well and if ever we would have substantial proof of the seller's trade practice not being in line with ebay's policies, then appropriate action will be taken against his account. Action could range from account being restricted or suspended from the site.

Have a great weekend Frank and thanks for choosing ebay.

Kind regards,

Rey Ba.

ebay Customer Service Supervisor

Message 21 of 34
Latest reply

For anyone interested, this is the latest exchange with Ebay

Hello xxx,

I know that you are informed that a request was sent to our management to review on the feedback that has been removed. When a feed was removed it can no longer be reinstated. I know that you have not breach any policy and you have every right to leave feedback according to your experience. With this transaction, we removed the feedback considering that you have been refunded and that we found out that the listing description is accurate.

Thanks for choosing eBay. Have a lovely day!

Sincerely,

Claire B.

eBay

And my reply...

Hello

Your latest reply is even more puzzling.

So Ebay is now claiming that it investigated this complaint and found the seller's listing was accurate? How so? So has Ebay concluded that the seller's listing that this was the valuable 1983 1st USA release CD of the Pink Floyd album is correct?

As I have said several times, the CD was not the 1983 1st USA release but a fourth 1986/87 reissue which have no value to collectors.

I have absolute and incontrovertible proof that the listing was false and misleading, including references to track peaks and a link to the Pink Floyd discography.
Furthermore, I posted the listing on the Steve Hoffman Forum so members there that collect these rare CDs could review it. Not only did members there confirm that the listing was false and misleading but the members there are abhorrent that Ebay has removed the negative feedback.

Again, I point out, not once has Ebay requested this proof from me, yet they inexplicably have decided that the CD listing was accurate, unbelievable! It seems to me that Ebay has reached this conclusion not by reference to any proof but just taking the word of the seller. It is no coincidence that the seller uses Ebay a lot and that is why Ebay seemingly is supporting the seller. There is no other conclusion one can draw from this.

I also posted this question on the Ebay community website and several Ebay members have advised that Ebay has reinstated negative feedback previously, so I question why you are telling me the opposite.
What is clear is that the Ebay feedback system is corrupt. The public deserves to know that they should not place any more credibility on the feedback system than user feedback on Facebook listings.

1. Please let me know how Ebay has reached the conclusion that the seller's listing was accurate.

2. Please let me know why Ebay has not asked for proof I have that the sellers listing was not only inaccurate, but false and misleading, even when I offered this proof to Ebay several times.

3. I again ask for the name and mailing address of the Ebay executive responsible for customer service so I can write a formal letter of complaint.

Regards

xxx

Message 22 of 34
Latest reply

Please do get the supervisor on the phone ,speaking directly to you one one on person to person as suggested early on

The feedback cannot be re-instated line they gave you is utterly false and I do doubt very very much you will get anywhere just in written messages 

Message 23 of 34
Latest reply

I don't see anywhere on this thread that you've done as suggested and used the

'have us call you back' option.

Unless I missed it.

Try logging into the US ebay and do it there.

And ask for a supervisor.

Message 24 of 34
Latest reply

Just as a confirmation that ebay can reinstate negative feedback.....I gave negative feedback to a seller which was removed.  I complained and had it reinstated.

Again the seller had it removed and again it was reinstated after a lot of talking on my part.

Again it was removed.....I almost gave up but made one last phone call to ebay.  It was finally reinstated, albeit very much altered.  At best it gave the seller a much deserved negative although very much watered down.

Message 25 of 34
Latest reply

I did speak to a supervisor (supposedly) in the USA sometime ago. Ebay Australia put me through. That got me nowhere either, apart from a manufactured sympathetic ear. I was also told over the phone that negative reviews once removed cannot be reinstated. The supervisor said she can see my messages and will monitor its escalation. Nothing more came of it.
Message 26 of 34
Latest reply

I'm betting the supposed supervisor was a Filipino with an American accent.

They'll tell you anything.

Just had a look at the ebay US site.

They don't have a 'call me back' option.

I guess you've hit the proverbial brick wall.

Message 27 of 34
Latest reply

Yes I guess I have hit the proverbial brick wall.

I just received another reply from Ebay below. Although it sounds like they are trying to be helpful with my request to escalate to a senior manager, it is of little help. No names, the links are to their standard customer service (which I have exhausted) or a USA telephone number. You are right, there is no call back option.
Message 28 of 34
Latest reply

the reply...

Hello xxx,

Thank you for contacting eBay.

I understand that you want to talk to our senior US managers. We apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you. Let me help you on this matter

Frank, with regards to contacting to our senior US managers, sorry but we cannot direct you to departments. What I can do is to provide you a link where you can choose to whom you want to contact. Just click the link below.
https://www.ebayinc.com/our-company/contact-us/

If you wish to speak to someone from the management, you can contact our phone support with this number 1 (866) 540-3229. They're open from 5:00 am - 10:00 pm Pacific Time 7 days a week.
I’m glad I was able to provide you the link where you can contact to our senior US manager. We truly appreciate your effort in getting this sent over to us. I wish you all the best with your future transactions on eBay.

Thank you for choosing eBay xxx. We value your business. Have a wonderful day.

Best of Luck,
Ben S.
eBay Customer Service
Message 29 of 34
Latest reply

I think you have been fobbed off again.  As far as I am aware the 18 freecall number only works if you are in the USA.

Message 30 of 34
Latest reply