Excess postage costs?

I have just asked a seller if  $22.+cents was quoted correctly to post a book (a childs book and not very large, or heavy) from an Aussie adress to another Aussie address and the reply was that the seller was new to EB and that she had requested EB to advise her about how much she could quote. How does EB figure in the scheme of postage? The book retails around the $30 mark so ...... guess where I will be shopping.............again.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Excess postage costs?

It would depend on the size and weight and when from to where too, but if it will fit in either a 500gm satchel or 3kg satchel then that is an expensive cost

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

Perhaps a quick friendly message saying the quote was a bit over the top and suggest the use of satchels.

If a new seller doesnt know any better and rely on ebay it may not be an accurate quote.

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

Seems fairly steep.

Offsider of mine recently sold a lot of 6 books, sent in a 5kg regular satchel which is $16.70, plus some wrapping and etc.

Allowing for fees charged by eBay & PayPal on postage total actual cost excluding wrapping materials worked out at $18.92, postage was included in item price ("Free Postage" item, humbug) which was a total of only $40.00.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

Seems a bit steep. ๐Ÿ˜ž You can work it out roughly yourself. If you know  Roughly the size and weight of the book, go into Austpost & calculate the postage there. It may give you a heads up on what it should be around.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

javand1
Community Member

I pack my books in bubble wrap and post them in eBay scatchels Aust wide either 500gm or 3kg for $7.20 or $11.70 respectively. No handling or packaging fee.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

Seems very expensive. Bear in mind if the seller is any good they will have to add on to any cost price packing, plus the 10% 'tax' that ebay levy on sellers ( they charge sellers fees on shipping and in many instances this is passed on to buyers).

So for example a quote of $12 for post may include $10 actual post cost $1 for bubble wrap / satchels etc and $1 to cover ebay / paypal fees levied on the freight.

None the less seems very steep.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

lytec
Community Member
what was the total with postage and cost of book? I have seen sellers who sell stuff for 99c and have $40 postage and then have the same item in their store for $40 plus free postage. Its all to do with the total cost.If its a 99c book and you add the postage its cheaper than the store.
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

Yes, that would work lytec- problem is that the book is listed with a buy it now price of $30 - The auction has started at $1.99. and that is sure to gain a bit of ground untill closing time, so either way you look at it .....  when the postage is added it's just not practical ... is it?

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

Thanks horizon - I have already bought a copy of this book, from a local retailer and gave it to a young member of my family. I know the dimensions, and the approx weight of the book. I now want to buy another one for another young member of the family who has indicated his desire to have his own copy. The retailer does not have any more in stock and consequently I browsed the book category on EB. It is my opinion that I could put 3 of these books in the one 500g satchel..... $7.20. The seller isn't responsive to any advice and I will now wait for the retailer to re-order more copies and purchase from him. One thing I've learned from visiting here is that it can be so much more enjoyable shopping where you can look the seller in the eye, know that what your saying is being understood and problems are, usually, resolved without having to search for, and open a report procedure. You know I might never get a star next to my name but I haven't got the problems that a lot of posters here on the discussion forum have.- (jumps up and clicks heels.)

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply