Excessive Postage Costs

jvdv
Community Member

Just a gripe to get it off my chest ...

I will no longer bid on items where the seller is charging an excessive amount for postage - i.e $25.00 for an item that will fit in an Aust Post 500 gm satchel for which most sellers would charge around $8.50.

There, I feel better now.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

Excessive Postage Costs

I've already responded with my thoughts on this topic but wanted to post a comment regarding actual mistakes with pricing. I contacted a seller tonight, politely asked if they were aware they had $600 postage on their auction item, which was close to ending. They sent a nice reply thanking me, they weren't aware. It can happen. Slightly off topic but interesting to note

Message 31 of 38
Latest reply

Excessive Postage Costs

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
I've sent extra in the past when I've received things and discovered the postage cost a lot more than I paid the seller for it, especially when the seller is overseas and went to extra trouble to work out the postage for me in the first place. It was mostly on items of fairly low value when a postage loss would have meant they did a lot of work for me and basically gave the items away.

I did that once too. By the time fees and everything were taken out, they hadn't only given the item away, they had actually lost a fair bit of money. So, I sent some extra, so they'd at least break even, with a few extra bucks for their effort. Didn't even get so much as a thank you, despite me sending a message explaining what I was doing, and why. 

Mr Tippy won an item at auction last night for 1c with $8.95 postage. If it was a new seller I'd have told him to send some extra, but it was an experienced seller, with over 1,000 feedback for selling. Too bad, so sad. They have been around long enough to know how things work. It will be interesting now to see if they actually send it. 

1c ?? 😂 

Agree a seller with that feedback knows how the game is played. You'll have to give us an update on this one haha

Message 32 of 38
Latest reply

Excessive Postage Costs

@11dustyattic wrote:

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:
I've sent extra in the past when I've received things and discovered the postage cost a lot more than I paid the seller for it, especially when the seller is overseas and went to extra trouble to work out the postage for me in the first place. It was mostly on items of fairly low value when a postage loss would have meant they did a lot of work for me and basically gave the items away.

I did that once too. By the time fees and everything were taken out, they hadn't only given the item away, they had actually lost a fair bit of money. So, I sent some extra, so they'd at least break even, with a few extra bucks for their effort. Didn't even get so much as a thank you, despite me sending a message explaining what I was doing, and why. 

Mr Tippy won an item at auction last night for 1c with $8.95 postage. If it was a new seller I'd have told him to send some extra, but it was an experienced seller, with over 1,000 feedback for selling. Too bad, so sad. They have been around long enough to know how things work. It will be interesting now to see if they actually send it. 

1c ?? 😂 

Agree a seller with that feedback knows how the game is played. You'll have to give us an update on this one haha

Seller cancelled, using the out of stock option. Clearly they don't know how to play the game!

Message 33 of 38
Latest reply

Excessive Postage Costs

Ohh! You heard it here first....

New board game called ... hmmm ... BidBuyBargie or something ...

Buyer pitted against seller! Landed on the low starting auction spot? Play your "problem with buyer's address" card! Etc...

COPYRIGHTED!

Message 34 of 38
Latest reply

Excessive Postage Costs

I hope you're not playing that game to amuse yourself while you're laid up, countess.

I almost hope that sellers who do that get a few non-payers so they know how it feels to have their time wasted.
Message 35 of 38
Latest reply

Excessive Postage Costs

If you'd already paid, when the seller cancelled they most likely would have lost all the pp fees. I'll bet they didn't know about that one. They probably won't wake up for a long time but when they do they may not be so keen on 99c auctions!
Message 36 of 38
Latest reply

Excessive Postage Costs

Likewise a couple of days ago I messaged a seller with a similar question - an item showed $77 shipping when it should only have been maybe $20.
Seller hadn't realised, and when they investigated, the culprit was eBay's pre-filled product details, incorrectly giving a product weight of 13kg for something that actually weighs less than 1kg, and postage was being calculated based on that.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 37 of 38
Latest reply

Excessive Postage Costs

No surprise it was 'out of stock' lol 

I'm still laughing about the 1c purchase. Mr Tippy, what a legend 😂👍

Message 38 of 38
Latest reply