Faulty Item

julmum8
Community Member

Hi I purchased a hoverboard in November for my 10 year olds 'Santa' present.  When he went to use it on Xmas day it was faulty.   I contacted the seller on the 26th Dec and was given a method to try to reset the motherboard with no success.  Recontacted and last correspondence from seller was 12th January stating a new controller would be sent as it was believed this was the problem.  Since then no correspondence/response to any of my emails.  The seller and item is supposed to be located in Australia not overseas.  

The item states that it has a 1 year warrantee against faults - how can I get the item repaired, replaced or refunded especially as seller isn't responding.  I did pay with paypal can I raise a complaint with them as I can not seem to get any assistance from ebay. 

Any assistance or advise would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Faulty Item

Was there a real warranty (an authorised seller/re-seller) registered in Australia

Or just a random seller?

There's no the seller is 'suppose' to be in Australia, it tells you on the feedback page where they are registered 

You are way out of time with eBay, the time limit is 30 days , Christmas present or not

I'm not sure how much luck you will have with PayPal is the motherboard has been re-set

But doubtful the seller ever has any intention of doing anything

Even more doubtful there is a real warranty 

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Faulty Item

Sandy - given - the instructions for resetting came from the seller but had no effect - the buyer would have proof of this - hopefully.

Surely this  does not negate the fact this item is not fit for purpose - doesn't work.

Only problem I see is sending it back - now PP do not pay return postage. 

The seller would have to provide a return address - propably China.

Oh brother.

Messy.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

Faulty Item

If its one of the last 6 or 7 sellers that have left you feedback,  I don't like your chances,  they all look dodgy,  and their feedback should have scared you off.

Although one says they are away until mid feb, 

You are out of time with Ebay.  Forget about any warranty.

Maybe try paypal, but as sandy said you have fiddled,  but give it a go, 

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

Faulty Item

Hopefully not......

But I seem to remember PayPal (used to at least) have something about the item had to be in the same condition as which it was received ?

I wondered if they would consider it having been 'dismantled' and not by a person qualified to do so

Just case, hopefully I am totally wrong 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

Faulty Item

@sandypebbles wrote:

Hopefully not......

But I seem to remember PayPal (used to at least) have something about the item had to be in the same condition as which it was received ?

I wondered if they would consider it having been 'dismantled' and not by a person qualified to do so

Just case, hopefully I am totally wrong 

I am hoping for the seller that the motherboard reset was just push the power button for 10 seconds while holding down button B and your left arm in the air pointing south.   If thats the case it should be ok to try a claim

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

Faulty Item

julmum8
Community Member

thanks for those who have responded.

To add to above the reset of the motherboard was just the holding down of buttons (ie on/off etc) for a certain time etc and a video was sent to show how to do this along with written instructions all of which I have records of as they were thru email.  It states the seller is located in Moorabbin Victoria.  My 13 year old has hoverboard purchased thru ebay a couple of years ago with no issues.  Seller is just no longer contactable and I hadn't left feedback for the item as I purchased in November but wasn't used until December 25th.

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

Faulty Item

Resetting is not dismantled - lol.

And to all intents and purposes - still in the condition it arrived - non functional.

PP will probably ask for the item to be returned at the buyer's expense - with TRACKING - and hopefully refund.

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

Faulty Item

@julmum8 wrote:

It states the seller is located in Moorabbin Victoria. 

No, that is where the seller says the item is.

When you look at their feedback, where are they registered ?

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

Faulty Item

@julmum8 wrote:

It states the seller is located in Moorabbin Victoria. 

That’s not possible; the seller information will show only the country of registration, not a city or suburb.

Moorabbin Victoria will refer to “Item location”, not seller’s country of registration (and hence seller location). The country of registration won’t be faked, but item location is just a field into which sellers can enter Timbuktu or Neverland or … Moorabbin Victoria, for instance.

The item location information might even have some basis in truth if the (probably Chinese?) seller uses a logistics company where the goods of many many sellers are stored or through which they pass.

In my very strong opinion, Australian buyers shouldn’t buy electronic items from a majority of overseas sellers, especially if a low price is luring them. Lithium battery fires… three words to strike fear into anyone’s heart… but they are by no means the only culprits.

Anyway, you can either try a refund through PayPal (keeping your reason simple - it’s not as described) or - if that isn’t possible or if it fails - try a chargeback through your card issuer/bank.

But don’t keep buying anything where you anticipate a warranty being needed through eBay - except when the seller is a major Australian seller, registered business, authorised as an Australian dealer for the item in question. For anything electronic or electrical, never buy unless it has been through the Australian electrical goods certification process.

There are regulations that apply to the supply of electrical equipment and appliances. The requirements set out in the regulations must be followed. A failure to do so is a criminal offence.

Regulations and Standards apply to all electrical equipment sold or offered for supply in Australia.    Certain types of equipment are classified as prescribed. These pieces of equipment must go through a certification process which ensures the equipment is compliant to the relevant safety standards before being offered for supply in Australia.

Regulatory Compliance Mark (RCM)

Prescribed electrical products must have an RCM on the appliance or an Australian approval number to show that the product has been certified.
This mark is currently recognised by all States and Territories of Australia.

countessalmirena_0-1706850972755.png

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply